The Student Room Group

Things you struggle with mostly while learning to drive

Scroll to see replies

deffo reversing round a corner and the clutch control, but my clutch control is a lot better now.
Reply 181
Original post by Midnightmemories
Had a bit of a moment when doing a turn in a road around a s shape bend for the first time when it was tipping it down with rain. She was very harsh on me today because I keep making the same mistakes recently and I'm struggling to fix them. So she figured that as I've told her in the past I need pushing a lot sometimes she's probably thought this could be one of those times.

We've come to the conclusion that I'm at that stupid stage that everyone gets to when they're near test standard, ive stayed the same standard for the last month or so now and I'm struggling to get past it.

Anyone else feel this way at the moment? Not really sure how to push past this stupid "stuck" stage

I'm in that stage too, especially with clutch control even after all these lessons and being nearly ready for my test in regards to everything else I've learned. It's frustrating but I try and not get angry at myself because that'll only wind me up more and lead to further mistakes buts its hard. I feel like everyone else takes to driving so effortlessly and then there's me :laugh:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ohhello92x
Yeah I've been having stupid moments when doing manoeuvres :/ like yesterday when doing parallel park, can normally do it fine but was being stupid -.- and with bay park too 😁😬🤔🤔

Posted from TSR Mobile

Had a similar experience with a turn in the road today as well. Thought I was doing something else and she was just like: "what the hell are you doing?" I was just like: "putting it in reverse, we're going around the corner aren't we?" She was just like: "no, we're doing a turn in the road, aren't we" I was just like this: :facepalm:

Original post by Spock's Socks
I'm in that stage too, especially with clutch control even after all these lessons and being nearly ready for my test in regards to everything else I've learned. It's frustrating but I try and not get angry at myself because that'll only wind me up more and lead to further mistakes buts its hard. I feel like everyone else takes to driving so effortlessly and then there's me :laugh:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same! Clutch control is something I'm just getting! And then I just keep making silly mistakes and I keep ending up screwing up going between 2nd and 3rd! I'm pretty much ready apart from those things. (I also got the stuff wrong with the bite today... Too low starting on the hill, too high going down!)

I piss myself off in lessons and it leads to more mistakes. Have ended up pulling over before just to be like "and breathe" because it just decended into a mess. I'm taking a long time too! Everyone is getting it quickly and then there's me! :giggle: :rofl:
Had a similar experience with a turn in the road today as well. Thought I was doing something else and she was just like: "what the hell are you doing?" I was just like: "putting it in reverse, we're going around the corner aren't we?" She was just like: "no, we're doing a turn in the road, aren't we" I was just like this: :facepalm:

Same! Clutch control is something I'm just getting! And then I just keep making silly mistakes and I keep ending up screwing up going between 2nd and 3rd! I'm pretty much ready apart from those things. (I also got the stuff wrong with the bite today... Too low starting on the hill, too high going down!)

I piss myself off in lessons and it leads to more mistakes. Have ended up pulling over before just to be like "and breathe" because it just decended into a mess. I'm taking a long time too! Everyone is getting it quickly and then there's me! :giggle: :rofl:

Oh dear 😁
But yeah I feel like I'm being stupid even after all these lessons :redface: think it's because I've got my test in 2 months I'n screwing up slightly, like during my lesson yesterday, ended up stalling quite a few times too and I rarely do that these days!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh dear 😁
But yeah I feel like I'm being stupid even after all these lessons :redface: think it's because I've got my test in 2 months I'n screwing up slightly, like during my lesson yesterday, ended up stalling quite a few times too and I rarely do that these days!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just wait until it's 5 days before and you're deciding if you're going to go threw with it or not. 😁 It was a mess for me. Obviously we didn't decide to do it. I would have been doing it today.
Haha fair enough :biggrin: fed up of relying on public transport/other people to get around haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've gotten to a point where I hate public transport lol it sucks especially to Uni
Just wait until it's 5 days before and you're deciding if you're going to go threw with it or not. 😁 It was a mess for me. Obviously we didn't decide to do it. I would have been doing it today.

Aw bless
But I suppose on the bright side you've got more time :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GeorgeAndLennie
I've gotten to a point where I hate public transport lol it sucks especially to Uni

Lol same! Haha yeah same I either walk to uni or catch the bus..but I find it worse when coming home with the bus as half the time they don't always turn up on time -.- also there was one time when I was getting the bus home from work and I was saying bye to someone and was literally stood ready to get on the bus and the bus driver shut the door and went 😠 was p****d off, but then luckily my mum rang me and she ended up picking me up :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol same! Haha yeah same I either walk to uni or catch the bus..but I find it worse when coming home with the bus as half the time they don't always turn up on time -.- also there was one time when I was getting the bus home from work and I was saying bye to someone and was literally stood ready to get on the bus and the bus driver shut the door and went 😠 was p****d off, but then luckily my mum rang me and she ended up picking me up :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahaha what really? man that sucks, some bus drivers are so savage they don't even care or wait for you lol
And same here; I normally take the bus. But I'm sick of it, can't wait till these 3 exams are done so that way I don't have to visit for quite a while and holidays beggggiiin
Original post by GeorgeAndLennie
Hahaha what really? man that sucks, some bus drivers are so savage they don't even care or wait for you lol
And same here; I normally take the bus. But I'm sick of it, can't wait till these 3 exams are done so that way I don't have to visit for quite a while and holidays beggggiiin

Hahaha yep lol. I know right lol but many of the bus drivers where I live don't care anyway 😬😁 lol
Haha same here

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 190
Just back from my driving lesson and we done bay parking today for the first time. I found that easier than actual driving today :laugh: my brain just couldn't comprehend driving today. I blame this heatwave :tongue:
Definitely concentration, which I think is why it's taken me so long to learn! And observations too, especially at junctions...and I need to work on my approach speed to junctions and roundabouts as that's what I spectacularly failed at on my first test (the examiner apparently told my driving instructor that he was terrified which was why he stopped my test :s-smilie:).

I have problems concentrating in many areas of my life though, which has got worse since I was diagnosed with anxiety.
Reply 192
My mum is starting driving lessons on Wednesday with the same instructor as me. This should be interesting :laugh:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 193
Trying not to speed is one thing I struggle the most
My mum is starting driving lessons on Wednesday with the same instructor as me. This should be interesting :laugh:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha aw fun times :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh man its creeping up slowly, first exam on tuesday and stuff I can't wait till 1st of june x'D even though I'm nervous

I dunno what I'm struggling with tbh, maybe observations when doing manouvres and switching from 4th from 40 to 20/2nd, when my instructor tells me to do a right turn asap -_- lol
Reply 196
Thinking I should get one of these rugs to help me with my driving test :laugh:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thinking I should get one of these rugs to help me with my driving test :laugh:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol :laugh:
Used to love playing games with that rug as a child :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think I'm doing alright but I keep doing stupid things like staying in 3rd gear around a turn because I've forgotten and my instructor will say he is seriously getting worried (my test is end of june) lol. Sometimes I find him really confusing as he will say I could have gone when I hesitated for a few seconds before pulling out as I think the car is going to get to where I am before I can pull out safely, but then if I go when I think he thinks you should go, he stops the car really quickly and says I can't go. Don't know if its just me making silly mistakes or he's got me so confused that I can't tell anymore. xD
Reply 199
My lesson for tomorrow got cancelled :frown: the breaks on my instructor's car aren't great so she's getting them fixed tomorrow. Ah well, I'm going to the Glasgow transport museum tomorrow with my bf and family so I'll still have a car of some sort in my day tomorrow :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending