The Student Room Group

Realistic university options with BTEC qualification?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by yt7777
I honestly think having a C in AS Maths will look positive on your application, it re-enforces your D*D*D* in Business would look excellent

that sounds good, it depends on what you're considering as more than likely, i think any on that list that require DDM-DDD or even D*DD would be safe for you, LSE and Durham would be optimistic and maybe UCL if you were to apply for a different course to ITMB would be optimistic, Bath i think would be semi-optimistic

.hb
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by yt7777
I honestly think having a C in AS Maths will look positive on your application, it re-enforces your D*D*D* in Business would look excellent

that sounds good, it depends on what you're considering as more than likely, i think any on that list that require DDM-DDD or even D*DD would be safe for you, LSE and Durham would be optimistic and maybe UCL if you were to apply for a different course to ITMB would be optimistic, Bath i think would be semi-optimistic

Bath and Durham need D*DD, however i'd regard them as optimistic as they're prestigious, particularly for business and finance.

Loughborough could be a semi-optimistic choice as they need DDD and are still are good uni

My more than likely options are places like Hull, requirements vary from DMM to DDM
Reply 22
Original post by mihail211
From what i've seen so far, and from contacting the admissions office Bath and Durham typical offers consist of D*DD. Bath is Fairly prestigious and especially for finance and accounting/business so i'd regard it as an optimistic option.

A more than likely option i thought was something like Hull, the requirements were DDM

Loughborough could be a semi-optimistic option as their requirements were DDD

Hull are ranked 63rd in the UK, with your predictions you could aim a lot higher, even for a safe choice UEA, Sussex and Swansea also require DDM and they rank a lot higher

AsI said before with your predictions you would be likely to get offers from these sort of universities, I would say if you can find a safe option of DDM/DDD that you would be really happy going to then have that as your one safe one, then have one highly optimistic one like LSE and then the other 3 as what you would be on track to almost certainely achieve DDD-D*DD so for example Bath, Durham, UCL or one of the other ones on the list?

The reason that I say this is that you will realise when you come to apply if you have a decent enough personal statement and predicted the required grades, there is no real reason why they would reject you, if you are still worried about the C grades you have and the extra time taken to do these then you can email the admissions and straight up ask if it will negatively impact your application, personally i would see it as a positive especially as one of those subjects is Maths, btw are the CC grades for A2 or AS?
Reply 23
Original post by yt7777
Hull are ranked 63rd in the UK, with your predictions you could aim a lot higher, even for a safe choice UEA, Sussex and Swansea also require DDM and they rank a lot higher

AsI said before with your predictions you would be likely to get offers from these sort of universities, I would say if you can find a safe option of DDM/DDD that you would be really happy going to then have that as your one safe one, then have one highly optimistic one like LSE and then the other 3 as what you would be on track to almost certainely achieve DDD-D*DD so for example Bath, Durham, UCL or one of the other ones on the list?

The reason that I say this is that you will realise when you come to apply if you have a decent enough personal statement and predicted the required grades, there is no real reason why they would reject you, if you are still worried about the C grades you have and the extra time taken to do these then you can email the admissions and straight up ask if it will negatively impact your application, personally i would see it as a positive especially as one of those subjects is Maths, btw are the CC grades for A2 or AS?

AS

And yeah maybe hull isn't the best choice, maybe shifting loughborough and UEA as safer options would be good. Then optimistic but doable options for the other 3 options (ie Bath, Durham)

I think e-mailing them would be a good idea, ill talk to tutors in the mean time too, thanks for your help btw :smile:
Reply 24
AS

And yeah maybe hull isn't the best choice, maybe shifting loughborough and UEA as safer options would be good. Then optimistic but doable options for the other 3 options (ie Bath, Durham)

I think e-mailing them would be a good idea, ill talk to tutors in the mean time too, thanks for your help btw :smile:

That sounds like a good plan

No worries, good luck
Reply 25
Hi, does anyone know whether I can get into an economics degree with business BTEC predicted D*D*D? I’ve studied business since GCSE and it’s becoming very boring to me. I’ve researched abit about economics and it’s very interesting.
Although it’s got a lot of maths in I know I can do well.
So do I have a shot here??
Reply 26
Original post by SSIMAR235
Hi, does anyone know whether I can get into an economics degree with business BTEC predicted D*D*D? I’ve studied business since GCSE and it’s becoming very boring to me. I’ve researched abit about economics and it’s very interesting.

Absolutely, I'm predicted D*DD and I got offer to study Economics at Glasgow and other Universities. Although it requires a lot of maths, I'm planning on self-learning the basics of A-Level maths as I have not done it.
Original post by SSIMAR235

Yes you can definitely do it. I got the same grade as you and managed to get into Warwick studying PPE. Some straight econ degrees require A-level in maths but not all. Also make sure that your personal statement is very good and stands out, I would suggest to spend a lot of time on it. Best of luck!
Reply 28
Original post by Micheal98
Yes you can definitely do it. I got the same grade as you and managed to get into Warwick studying PPE. Some straight econ degrees require A-level in maths but not all. Also make sure that your personal statement is very good and stands out, I would suggest to spend a lot of time on it. Best of luck!

Hi do you have any tips for a strong personal statement? What do you believe made you stand out to get in to Warwick. I want to apply to Nottingham Uni for economics and I am just finishing off my personal statement. Any tips are appreciated
Reply 29
Just wanted to say I got into uni of Birmingham for economics with an offer of DDD. Very possible to go to Russell group and I might try my luck through clearing but not sure yet.
Hello, I am curious what kind of realistic university options an extended Diploma in Business would get me. I failed my first year in A level and opted to leave the 2nd year with Cs and Bs because i figured out what i wanted to do, and as a result, wanted a change in subjects. Im on track for D*D*D* with 12 GCSEs so the entry requirements themselves wouldn't be an issue. Does anyone with a similar experience know what a realistic university option would be to study finance and accounting?

Hey!

I'm Charlie, one of Lancaster University's student ambassadors. I am currently in my 2nd year of a degree in Finance & Economics. basically, 50% Accounting & Finance modules with 50% Economics modules.

I first saw your question and was sure some of my friends on my course came with BTECS - having done some digging for you I was glad to find that I was right! The Accounting & Finance course asks for Distinction, Distinction, Distinction (here is a link to our page showing course requirements: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/accounting-and-finance-bsc-hons-n400/#course-entry )

If you have any questions or queries about the course, or just about Lancaster in general please let me know!

Charlie
Original post by S1M001

Hi S1M001,

I am currently a digital student ambassador for the Social Sciences at the University of Birmingham. For economics, they do accept BTECs instead of A-levels, the only other requirement to consider, is that a minimum of grade 7/A in mathematics is a requirement for economics. Any other questions that you may have please just ask.

For more information: https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/econ/economics-bsc.aspx#EntryRequirementsTab

Kieran
Reply 32
Original post by UoB - Social Sciences
Hi S1M001,

I am currently a digital student ambassador for the Social Sciences at the University of Birmingham. For economics, they do accept BTECs instead of A-levels, the only other requirement to consider, is that a minimum of grade 7/A in mathematics is a requirement for economics. Any other questions that you may have please just ask.

For more information: https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/econ/economics-bsc.aspx#EntryRequirementsTab

Kieran

Yeh I know I got offer for econ 😄😄 I’m so happy!! Thanks.
Original post by marmalade11
My daughter got into Lancaster, York, Bath and Nottingham with a D*DD, she chose Nottingham

What degree ?
Reply 34
Original post by TheGrammarGuru
Some BTEC courses, such as computing and engineering, are supposedly equipping students better than the A-levels. But with most BTECs, it is FAR easier to obtain DDD than AAA at A level.

I would disagree with this as my daughter is in her 2nd year of a Btec Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Exercise and Sports Science. They cover far more content than A level PE and Biology for example. The exams are hard and equivalent to A levels. Btecs are certainly NOT the easier option or for those less 'academic'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending