The Student Room Group

Applying to a top Russel group with a BTEC

How realistic is it to apply to a top Russel group with a Lvl 3 BTEC? (Not Oxbridge ofc) I'm predicted D*D*D* but I still feel like btec isn't nearly as good as A levels and they won't see me as capable ;(( I am also doing A level maths along side the btec so I guess that counts for something lol
Original post by revo349
How realistic is it to apply to a top Russel group with a Lvl 3 BTEC? (Not Oxbridge ofc) I'm predicted D*D*D* but I still feel like btec isn't nearly as good as A levels and they won't see me as capable ;(( I am also doing A level maths along side the btec so I guess that counts for something lol

What do you consider "a top Russel group"? For what course would you be applying? What are you predicted in A level Maths?
Original post by DataVenia
What do you consider "a top Russel group"? For what course would you be applying? What are you predicted in A level Maths?

Well I'm hoping for Durham, I'm looking at getting A/A* for math this year. Also I'll be applying for comp sci
Original post by revo349
Well I'm hoping for Durham, I'm looking at getting A/A* for math this year. Also I'll be applying for comp sci

OK. Durham specifically say that for their Computer Science BSc:

"BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma/OCR Cambridge Technical Extended Diploma D*DD and Mathematics A level at grade A (or equivalent) is required." (source).

There would be little point in them publishing these entry requirements if they weren't genuine. However, if you want to know whether they really accept people with those qualifications, then ask their admissions team. (Note that they'll be a tad busy right now!)
Reply 4
Original post by revo349

It's very realistic especially as you are doing A level maths alongside the BTEC.

Just check the BTEC requirements on the entry requirements for the individual unis that interest you. And try to have a bit more confidence that you are a good applicant!
Original post by harrysbar
It's very realistic especially as you are doing A level maths alongside the BTEC.

Just check the BTEC requirements on the entry requirements for the individual unis that interest you. And try to have a bit more confidence that you are a good applicant!

Thank you :wink:) I appreciate that
Original post by revo349

I cant specifically answer about Durham but most top universities accept BTEC. There are some in London that dont but others do. The 2 issues that matter with BTEC is the subject it is in and the need for A level Maths for things like CS,
Original post by revo349

yes you can. check their entry requirments as most unis do accept btec even some russel group ones.
Yup, just to confirm that we don't disadvantage BTEC applicants, the published requirements are the standard offer just like any other qualification.

Note that I'm sure COMPSCI is competitive, so not a guarantee of an offer. But well worth applying if it has caught your eye and you are in line with the standard offer.
Original post by swanseajack1
I cant specifically answer about Durham but most top universities accept BTEC. There are some in London that dont but others do. The 2 issues that matter with BTEC is the subject it is in and the need for A level Maths for things like CS,

Yeah, i think I will be ok because I did my BTEC in IT and also getting A lvl Math

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending