The Student Room Group

Should I go where the course is best or where I feel most at home?

I have offers from Birmingham (unconditional if first) and Durham (AAA).
I love both of these unis, but the course seems best at Birmingham because it's accredited along with the year in industry and masters being combined into 1 year.
Despite this I just feel more at home at Durham, so which is most important? The course or the location?
Any help/views appreciated!
Original post by CharlotteRL
I have offers from Birmingham (unconditional if first) and Durham (AAA).
I love both of these unis, but the course seems best at Birmingham because it's accredited along with the year in industry and masters being combined into 1 year.
Despite this I just feel more at home at Durham, so which is most important? The course or the location?
Any help/views appreciated!

Which one do you feel you would be happiest at? Both of those factors are difficult to strike a balance between, could you see yourself being happy at Birmingham ?
The year in industry is always good. Accreditation, it depends on what the course is and who it's accredited by. Also, which course is more interesting to you?
Original post by claireestelle
Which one do you feel you would be happiest at? Both of those factors are difficult to strike a balance between, could you see yourself being happy at Birmingham ?

I could see myself more than happy at Birmingham, I feel like Birmingham would surely be the best option but it's just the reputation of durham :s-smilie:
Original post by alleycat393
The year in industry is always good. Accreditation, it depends on what the course is and who it's accredited by. Also, which course is more interesting to you?

The course is biological sciences, and is accredited (only at Birmingham) by the Royal Society of Biology. Birmingham graduates also have better graduate prospects than those from Durham.
I think Birmingham is the best option, and the course is brilliant along with the uni itself
It's just such an important decision to make at the age of 17!
I could see myself more than happy at Birmingham, I feel like Birmingham would surely be the best option but it's just the reputation of durham :s-smilie:

The course is biological sciences, and is accredited (only at Birmingham) by the Royal Society of Biology. Birmingham graduates also have better graduate prospects than those from Durham.
I think Birmingham is the best option, and the course is brilliant along with the uni itself

Sounds like Birmingham is the better choice for you, you sound very positive about it.
Reply 6

You've told us yourself what you prefer!

Birmingham still has a great reputation, and its a russell group uni. I think the year in industry and accreditation will be really positive to your cv too!

Edited to add if there are better employment opportunities at Birmingham its a no brainier!!
Birmingham youve already wroked it out.
Reply 8
Without reading anything about it I'd say go to the best uni possible. / :biggrin:

I've read the thread now and I would instinctively go to Durham, though you've said Birmingham is the better course and you feel more into /birmingham if it was me I'd go to Durham I'd feel more into it there. But then again it is your choice and you like B,ham so go there. Its up to you.
(edited 8 years ago)

Just a quick point, accreditation by the RSB doesn't mean much in terms of your prospects after you graduate both in the field or otherwise so please don't base your decision on that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think accreditation (for biological sciences) and a year in industry are particularly important in helping graduates get good jobs. Additionally, Durham is a bit more prestigious than Birmingham (although that doesn't matter too much either). I wouldn't choose based on which is likely to have better opportunities for graduates, because they will be very similar on that front. Instead, see which course you prefer and which location you like best. Also consider how confident you are in getting AAA.
Original post by sweeneyrod
I don't think accreditation (for biological sciences) and a year in industry are particularly important in helping graduates get good jobs. Additionally, Durham is a bit more prestigious than Birmingham (although that doesn't matter too much either). I wouldn't choose based on which is likely to have better opportunities for graduates, because they will be very similar on that front. Instead, see which course you prefer and which location you like best. Also consider how confident you are in getting AAA.

you dont think work experience is important to getting a good job? its probably the most important thing 2:1 at Birmingham + year of work in that field is a lot better than a 1st from durham.
Original post by madmadmax321
you dont think work experience is important to getting a good job? its probably the most important thing 2:1 at Birmingham + year of work in that field is a lot better than a 1st from durham.

Work experience is definitely important, but you don't need a year of it - you could go to Durham and do internships in the summer. A year in industry is also less of an advantage if it isn't related to the jobs you end up applying for. In any case, Durham does offer a year in industry for biological sciences students.
I have to disagree with the poster above in terms of research experience if you plan to go into research. It is the single most important thing that will help you stand out if you want a research career. A year gives you time to get settled get independent and actually produce some data. Internships are great too but the short amount of time means that you may not learn as much or be able to contribute as much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alleycat393
I have to disagree with the poster above in terms of research experience if you plan to go into research. It is the single most important thing that will help you stand out if you want a research career. A year gives you time to get settled get independent and actually produce some data. Internships are great too but the short amount of time means that you may not learn as much or be able to contribute as much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was thinking the same- a year is a more significant and would look better for employers, I'm also fairly confident I want a career within research so it would work well in my favour.
Thank you for your help!:smile:
Original post by madmadmax321

I agree that work experience is crucial. I hadn't thought of the results like that before, but thats a very valid point
Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending