The Student Room Group
curlyc3
I've got my English exams next week on the edexcel board but I've found no one else doing the same!!! My texts are Othello, Carol Anne Duffy selected poems, North and South vs Hardtimes!
Can any one give me any intelligent ideas(not that mine aren't!) about any of them!?Coz i really really want to improve my grade!!! :smile:

well i dont do edexcel.. but ive done carol anne duffy
Reply 2
I did carol anne duffy at GCSE and othello at A level
What do you need to know
I've got my exams on Mon and Weds too but we're doing the Rivals-Sheridan, Metaphysical Poetry and Emma/Pride and Prejudice!
Bring on the unseen stuff... might have a hope in hell with that :tongue:
Reply 4
hey i did othello for a2 but on AQA but you can use this thread for some ideas and websites:

http://www.uk-learning.net/t48470.html

although its for aqa a2 englit, i'm sure using it would help you.
Reply 5
Just woz wonderin if any one had any interestin or different views on the poetry n stuff! Thanks for ur help!! I have now read the how book of selected poems for Duffy, trying to concentrate on themes!!
Its just that Othello is pretty damn borin! Wot would u say wer the main themes?? I've looked at the idea of race and male dominance leading to competition but none of it really interests me?? Anyone think they can inspire me!?!
Reply 6
I did Carol Ann Duffy at GCSE too, if that's any use...
curlyc3
Its just that Othello is pretty damn borin! Wot would u say wer the main themes?? I've looked at the idea of race and male dominance leading to competition but none of it really interests me?? Anyone

I don't think it's boring! Quite gripping rather! But perhaps that's because I've also seen the two 'Othello' productions and loved it. I think before you really appreciate it you have to understand it. When considering the main themes of the play think about the themes that are introduced at the start of the play, look at binary opposites and how they play against each other during the play. Make a list of themes and issues that arise in the play...i.e: appearance & reality 'I am not what I am', order/chaos/ good v evil/heaven and hell, women and jealousy: the types of jealousy i.e sexual jealousy for Iago etc, look at the idea of the 'outsider' in relation to race as well - Cassio is an outsider as he's a 'florentine' but he's more accepted into the venetian culture than Othello is. There are some useful questions that consider these themes/issues at:
http://www.moe.edu.sg/schools/rjc/subjects/english/lit/j2/othello.htm#themes

There's links to other websites etc. Good luck.

Latest

Trending

Trending