The Student Room Group

Dentistry : volunteering

Im a year 12 student whose considering over doing volunteering now.
I already have 2 years at a homeless aid programme and 2 weeks of dental work experience at a general practice.
Ive realised my friends have done a lot more wide ranging volunteering activities rather than just one.
Should i start volunteering now or should i wait till after the AS exams and do it in the summer? Im worried if i start volunteering too early i may not be able to achieve the grades i want.
Is it okay to do it during the summer or should i start ASAP?

Cheers in advance
Dental schools like to see commitment so if you have volunteered at the same place for 2 years I'd say that is most definitely enough as it shows that you are dedicated and committed to it. The skills you have gained and quality of the experience are more important than the amount of experience in my opinion. Keep up what you are doing and good luck. Possibly consider getting work experience in a different dental setting such as a lab, however I think you already have a good amount of experience and volunteering so anything else is just a bonus really. I got 2 offers this year with no volunteering at all so don't worry about other people having loads more, it is just one part of the application and they consider a lot more than just work experience/volunteering. Definitely don't let your volunteering commitments get in the way of getting the good grades though as they are just as important, volunteering in the summer sounds great if you enjoy it.

Quick Reply

Latest