The Student Room Group

Chemistry and Biology Question(s)

1. Compound X is an important industrial raw material. Products obtained from the electrolysis of its concentrated aqueous solution include: A gas that bleaches damp litmus paper, a gas that ignites with a pop, an alkali.

The answer is sodium chloride which I don't know why. Just asking, does aqueous sodium chloride solution mean that it contains water? If so, then that means that the electrolyte will contain H+ OH- Na+ and Cl- ions. I can see why it will bleach damp litmus paper (due to the chloride ion), the gas ignites with a pop (due to the hydrogen) but why is it an alkali :s-smilie:

2. Light enters a box through a hole in one side.

Answer is the stem. Why is the stem the effector? I thought it's the top part which has the auxin that controls growth of a plant..
Reply 1
1. NaCl because Cl- is oxidised on the anode 2Cl- ---> Cl2 + 2e- it is the chlorine that bleaches. H+ is reduced to H2 on the cathode. OH- remaining, so alkali.

2. Don't know what the question is.
Reply 2
Concentrated sodium cloride is known as brine. Its electrolisis produce H2 which pops when put near a fire source. Next aques Cl- produce hypoclorate acid which bleach the litmus paper. While Na+ becomes sodium hydroxide which is an alkali.
Reply 3
Yea but it said "Products obtained from the electrolysis". The OH- that remains in the electrolyte is not the product, it's just what remains. The product is Cl2 and H2.

... is it NaOH (according to capablanca) or OH- (according to Eau) that makes the product alkali.. =.=
Reply 4
OH- ion is the thing that makes it an alkaline. So NaOH is the alkali. NaOH counts as a product too, because it wasn't a reactant and it's produced as a result of electrolysis.

Yes, aqueous means it contains water.

I don't know what question 2 is asking.
Reply 5

Answer is B which I have no idea why?!?!?!

and another question

Which metal is used with aqueous sodium hydroxide to test for nitrate ions in solution?

a) Aluminium
b) Copper
c) Magnesium
d) Tin

what's the answer and why? I just know that aluminum, copper and magnesium are used for positive ion test with aq sodium hydroxide..
Reply 6
Effector does not mean where auxin is produced. An effector is the part that responds to stimulus. The stem is responsible for bending the plant - not the leaves.

I don't think you need to know exactly why aluminium is used at this stage (IGCSE?), but I think aluminium reduces NO2 to NH3 in basic conditions. And you could test the ammonia produced with damp red litmus.
Reply 7

Another question, the answer is C which I don't know why :s-smilie: and thanks for the help guys!
Reply 8
Catchetat

Another question, the answer is C which I don't know why :s-smilie: and thanks for the help guys!

You want to REMOVE the ink. So obviously, you want to find a solvent which dissolves the ink and carry it away - you can only carry it away if the solvent does not dissolve in the polyester... or else the ink will stay on the polyester. Hope that makes sense.

Solubility can be understood as likability. If the solvent likes both the ink and shirt, then that's not going to resolve anything. But if the solvent likes the ink but not shirt, that it will seduce the ink away from the shirt. Okay just trying to convince my arguement, lol.
Reply 9
why must the solvent not dissolve in the polyester? doesn't really make sense to me o.O i like your explanation about the likeability stuff lol.

hm i donno the answer

i'm not sure about the R bit..
Reply 10
Catchetat
why must the solvent not dissolve in the polyester? doesn't really make sense to me o.O i like your explanation about the likeability stuff lol.

hm i donno the answer

i'm not sure about the R bit..

So are you saying the likability analogy doesn't explain - but you still like it? -_-

Well I tried my best. If the solvent is soluble in the polyester AND the ink, then the solvent will carry the ink and seep into the polyester (v. bad). Whereas if the solvent is insoluble in the polyester, then the solvent will carry the ink, and AWAY from the polyester, because it's insoluble there.

Carbon makes 4 bonds with other atoms... or it will have a positive charge - very unstable...

R would be something like ammonia...
Reply 11
oooh and I sort of get the ink thing :P thanks!
Reply 12
Catchetat
oooh and I sort of get the ink thing :P thanks!

Yay, finally! I feel happy :smile: - to be able to explain this inky question to you! And no I don't want to be a teacher, lol!
Reply 13
hm another question! element x can form 4 covalent bonds.

does it always mean that element x is a group 4 non-metal?
Reply 14
Catchetat
hm another question! element x can form 4 covalent bonds.

does it always mean that element x is a group 4 non-metal?

Yep. Right on.
Reply 15
ok thanks. Hm why is water a poor conductor of heat? We did the experiment like the ice thing in test tube but I forgot about it... why is water a poor conductor in terms of its structure?

and is glass a poor conductor of heat because it has no free ions due to its giant covalent structure?
Reply 16
Catchetat
ok thanks. Hm why is water a poor conductor of heat? We did the experiment like the ice thing in test tube but I forgot about it... why is water a poor conductor in terms of its structure?

and is glass a poor conductor of heat because it has no free ions due to its giant covalent structure?

Heat conduction depends on delocalised fast moving electrons/ions - of which neither are present in water and glass.
Reply 17
Catchetat
is glass a poor conductor of heat because it has no free ions due to its giant covalent structure?

Careful, glass doesn't have a giant covalent structure.

Latest

Trending

Trending