The Student Room Group

Delaying uni by (another) year???

I'm soon to be 22, currently living at home and working to save up as much as possible after travelling and working abroad for a couple of years. Before that I went to uni straight after sixth form and quit after a year and a half when I realised I was studying something i absolutely did not want a career in and it was a very specific course which would have led me nowhere else. I don't regret going to uni or leaving - I met amazing people and have a good time and good experiences, but leaving was definitely the right decision.

Now I have been offered a place at a good uni to study Sociology and was planning to go this year. I would be moving in July, working full time over summer and then starting my course while working part time in September. I know the course I've chosen is what I want to do, and I know it will be useful in what I want to go into (drug and alcohol rehabilitation work) or various other careers if I do change my mind again.

But now I'm thinking.. should I defer my place? I know I want to go to uni because I know I want a degree as, although I know it's not vital for finding a good job and people with degrees still struggle to find work, I know it will help a lot in the future. But I just feel like it'd be good for me to stay at home, keep working (I really enjoy my job now but it's not something I could do for the rest of my life as I'm only getting around £15,000 a year) and save a whole lot of money so when I do start uni I can do so with money in the bank, therefore less pressure to work a lot while studying and more time to concentrate on my degree. I don't think starting at 23 instead of 22 will make a huge difference, but I just can't make a final decision..

Any advice would be awesome, thanks!
Original post by rgh22
I'm soon to be 22, currently living at home and working to save up as much as possible after travelling and working abroad for a couple of years. Before that I went to uni straight after sixth form and quit after a year and a half when I realised I was studying something i absolutely did not want a career in and it was a very specific course which would have led me nowhere else. I don't regret going to uni or leaving - I met amazing people and have a good time and good experiences, but leaving was definitely the right decision.

Now I have been offered a place at a good uni to study Sociology and was planning to go this year. I would be moving in July, working full time over summer and then starting my course while working part time in September. I know the course I've chosen is what I want to do, and I know it will be useful in what I want to go into (drug and alcohol rehabilitation work) or various other careers if I do change my mind again.

But now I'm thinking.. should I defer my place? I know I want to go to uni because I know I want a degree as, although I know it's not vital for finding a good job and people with degrees still struggle to find work, I know it will help a lot in the future. But I just feel like it'd be good for me to stay at home, keep working (I really enjoy my job now but it's not something I could do for the rest of my life as I'm only getting around £15,000 a year) and save a whole lot of money so when I do start uni I can do so with money in the bank, therefore less pressure to work a lot while studying and more time to concentrate on my degree. I don't think starting at 23 instead of 22 will make a huge difference, but I just can't make a final decision..

Any advice would be awesome, thanks!

Having some savings to start uni with would definitely take the pressure off i think :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending