The Student Room Group

Jun:28.... PHY6.. how was it??

So...... how was it.......??............

i didnt find it too hard........ left the question on magnetic fields in and outside the coaxial wire(4 marks)........ and why the image shifts to the right in the tv...... apart from that... i think the rest was not too bad..... might lose some marks for the inelastic scattering... didnt know what kind of answer they were lookin for.....

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i didnt like it, prefer questions with calculations more
i found it really hard actually. esp the comprehension
Reply 3
[QUOTE='[_Z_]']So...... how was it.......??............

and why the image shifts to the right in the tv......
i put cos the aerial must be on the right, dont know if its correct
Reply 4
whole paper felt like an up-hill struggle :\
Reply 5
zoidberg

i felt the same...hopefully got 50%
zoidberg

definately! i got mixed up with all those m's and u's on the comprehension.
what did you guys get for the graph?
Reply 7
damn, i remember looking at that question as to why the picture moves right and thinking about an answer while doing the next bit. now i dont think i wrote anything down for that :frown:
i was gonna put its because the electron beam scans from left to right inside a tv and hence the picture moves slightly right when the ghost signal is recieved.
Reply 8
scarlet ibis

what did you guys get for the graph?

my graph started at about 0.25 and then tended upwards towards 1 as the mass of atom increased. i made sure not to extrapolate back to the origin though as there was a turning point there. didn't bother drawing that though.
Reply 9
I put something about the electron gun not cooling instantly and still emitting electrons as it scans left to right, wrong i think.

for the graph (current on dynamo)i think i made a big mistake, i didnt really get the first part of the question. i said it produced an emf when it cut the earths magnetic field, so the current would make a sine graph shape (as it goes from parallel to perpendicular) but im pretty sure i was wrong. didnt seem right to just draw a straight line though.

for the first graph it was just a curve that got straighter as it went up, so that answered the second part of question, that heavier targets were harder to distinguish or something.

missed a lot of questions out first time through, and second... then just wrote whatever i could, even though all the spaces were filled i doubt i got that much :\

even the radioactive decay thing threw me, ended up finding the time to decay to 15W would be 7.3 years or something stupid
Reply 10
I don't know what to make of that...but I needed an A and I don't know whether I got that. I completely mucked up the TV 'does it appear noticeably to the right?' thing - I made it more complicated than it seemed, when in actual fact it was so easy!

My graph (I assume you're talking about how k varies with mass of target) was a positive curve with a decreasing gradient, so basically it became horizontal-ish, and I thought that made sense because it formed the answer for the next part 'why is it hard to tell the difference between heavy nuclei?' or something.

I liked the analogies thing but it was a little strange when they asked me to choose my very own analogy. Never have I been given such artistic freedom in a physics exam. I chose to look at springs and capacitors.

The batteries vs dynamo question was pretty good.

Oh by the way, what did people write for the 'Explain carefully the difference between RBS elastic scattering and inelastic scattering used to see what a proton is made of'? That was vile.

EDIT: For the question about how long it takes for the radioactive power to drop from 20 to 15W I got a huge value then realised it was in seconds. It turned out at about 0.75 years.
Reply 11
this paper wasnt too bad like some of the past papers i did... even though i definetely screwed up the coaxial cable question... btw goin back to the first post... wot was the inelastic scattering question hes talkin about. :cool:

anybody know how much this exam counts overall? :confused:
Reply 12
It's worth 20% of the A-level.
Reply 13
that radioactive source one i think i got 27.3 years. was quite worried initally by that as it came up as something like 86million seconds.
the bit where we were doing the analogies bit did it ask for analogies between other things cause i think i may of misread it and done between capacitor discharge and radioactive decay?
Reply 14
Yeah I think it wanted a different analogy unrelated to that.
I didn't think it went brilliantly but it definately wasn't that bad. I thought that Q3 and 4 were quite nice questions!
Reply 16
damn!!!! where was the question about inelastic and elastic scattering?!?!?! i think i missed it! how many marks was it ?!
Reply 17
I thought it was a pretty hard paper , the comprehension was pretty good tho.

I found the q' about inelastic scatering hard, i said sumthing about how in elastic there is no physical colision , and in inesastic a neutron actually collides wth the nucleus,

Also the question about how that power is 20W :eek: , i just played arond with the numbers and the closest thing i got to 20 was 31, so i just wrote that.
The next part i gueused as 9 years (3/4 of total power therefore half of half life).

The question about tv image was reallly hard. for the first part i just used speed=distance over time, to find a value for t, and multiplied by 2.

The dynamo question was ok apart form the energy transfers bit.
Which i wrote quite a lot on , i think they should have been more simple than what i wrote.

The last quesiton was terrible, especially with the cable :confused: anyone know the answer to that one?
Reply 18
how many marks was the inelastic scattering question?
Reply 19
RussianDude
i put cos the aerial must be on the right, dont know if its correct

The TV's CRT scans the screen from left to right. that's how you get the changing image on your TV. Since the thing scans from left to right, any delayed signal must appear to the right of where it should have been, i.e. the original image. Watched the history of television some 7 or 8 years ago, never though it would help me with my physics a'level.

Latest

Trending

Trending