The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Accomodation

hi
im joining university of bath for my masters programme in the month of september.
i was wondering whether on campus accomodation is more better or the ones at off campus since for post graduates we only have woodland for on campus and the rest are in the city..
Original post by dpk29
hi
im joining university of bath for my masters programme in the month of september.
i was wondering whether on campus accomodation is more better or the ones at off campus since for post graduates we only have woodland for on campus and the rest are in the city..

Hi,

Congratulations on your offer to study at Bath! As an undergraduate student, I have experienced living both on and off campus and in my opinion both options have different advantages and disadvantages.

Living on campus is a great experience. The campus, being relatively compact, has a very friendly atmosphere and community feel - I find that you rarely walk across campus without bumping into a familiar face. The campus has accommodation, a shop, the SU, the sports training village, a theatre, the library, bars, cafes and teaching spaces all in one place, making it a very convenient place to live - kind of like a small town. From my experience, the only disadvantage I found to living on campus was that I sometimes felt I got a bit bored of being on campus all the time and wanted a change of scenery. However, Bath city centre is only a 10-15 minute bus ride away so is very easy to get to (there are 24 hour bus services that run during term time which take you from campus into town).

Living off campus, although very different from living on campus, also has many advantages. The city of Bath is a great place to live, as being a World Heritage site it is very beautiful and picturesque. There are lots of shops, restaurants, and nightlife, and from my experience there is plenty to do in the city! Living off campus really allows you to explore the city more and get involved in clubs and activities that aren't based solely on the university campus. In my opinion the main disadvantage of living off campus is the commute to and from campus everyday as the buses can sometimes be very busy, and traffic in Bath (particularly in rush hour) can sometimes mean the journey takes longer than expected! However, on the whole the bus service is very reliable, and once I got used to travelling by bus everyday I have not found it to be much of a problem.

You might find it useful to take a look at our virtual tours to get a better idea of what each accommodation type has to offer. You can also find a more detailed description of each accommodation type, as well as the prices here.

If you have any other questions please feel free to quote me!

Beth
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Reply 2
Hey Beth,
this was really helpful.. thank you so much for the information :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest