The Student Room Group

Dissertation panic!!!

Hi I was wondering if someone could give me a bit of advice! I handed in my dissertation a few months ago and my friend pointed out the other day that I didn't reference my in text-citations properly. So instead of writing for example (John, 2013). I was saying my point and then putting a full stop before the citation like this. (John,2013) and moving on to the next sentence. I was wondering if anyone thinks/has experience of this having a massive affect on my mark??! My supervisor seen my work four times and never mentioned I was doing it wrong, so i'm gutted!

If anyone has had any experience of this please shed some light!!
Original post by nicole,xox
Hi I was wondering if someone could give me a bit of advice! I handed in my dissertation a few months ago and my friend pointed out the other day that I didn't reference my in text-citations properly. So instead of writing for example (John, 2013). I was saying my point and then putting a full stop before the citation like this. (John,2013) and moving on to the next sentence. I was wondering if anyone thinks/has experience of this having a massive affect on my mark??! My supervisor seen my work four times and never mentioned I was doing it wrong, so i'm gutted!

If anyone has had any experience of this please shed some light!!

I bet supervisor hasnt even noticed it, unless you wnat the full stops back then chill. Imo it will have zero effect and they are more concerned about real plaigirism.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
I bet supervisor hasnt even noticed it, unless you wnat the full stops back then chill. Imo it will have zero effect and they are more concerned about real plaigirism.

I was under the impression this would affect structure and the way it flows because it looks like the reference is for the next sentence if you get me!

Thanks though.
Original post by nicole,xox
I was under the impression this would affect structure and the way it flows because it looks like the reference is for the next sentence if you get me!

Thanks though.

If you are worried tell them, but imo I cant see it makes any material difference. Surely an experience reader knows how to read and they wont get thrown off by an extra full stop before a reference. Imo its nothing.
Reply 4
It wouldn't be too bad if it were merely placed after, just might not read as nicely, but that only matters for v high marks.
HOWEVER - I notice you omitted the space in your example of what you did. If that's what you did, at my uni that would be taken as deliberately trying to reduce the wordcount, and you would incur penalties, esp if you were on your word limit.
depends on your supervisor, I know one of my lecturers who would cap at 40% for that as she goes through each individual reference too and the rest would probably mention it in feedback and only deduct 1-5% . If you have an assessment rubix that includes proper referencing then youll probably be marked low for that and the res of the work sections (intro, main body, conclusion, coherence, depth of understanding etc) will balance it out and barely affect the grade

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending