The Student Room Group

Going into finance with a physics degree

I am currently finish my A2's and I saw that a small percentage of physics graduates chose to go into finance. I was wondering if anyone knew how difficult it is for a Physics grad to enter the financial sector as an investment banker. How much of a disadvantage would I be at when applying for such a job against people with a degree in economics or accounting for example. (I plan to study physics at Warwick or Durham)
Reply 1
Original post by Jasop
I am currently finish my A2's and I saw that a small percentage of physics graduates chose to go into finance. I was wondering if anyone knew how difficult it is for a Physics grad to enter the financial sector as an investment banker. How much of a disadvantage would I be at when applying for such a job against people with a degree in economics or accounting for example. (I plan to study physics at Warwick or Durham)

It would be no difficult at all. A Physics degree is considered a huge asset as it is highly quantitative and common perception is that it is associated with smart people. You would pretty much be in the same field with Econ and Finance grads for the majority of grad roles in any field of finance.
You wouldn't be at any disadvantage compared to the likes of economics students in terms of how you're viewed by employers, you just need to do a bit more research and become more commercially aware about finance. Why Warwick or Durham might as I ask?
You'll be fine OP.

Finance is a pretty well trodden path, there's plenty of info online in regards to tips/advice. Alternatively put up a question (that can't easily be google please for the love of all that's good) about your concerns in the IB/C forum here on TSR - I and several others will gladly help you out.

Deffo go Warwick though, target unis FTW.

As for being disadvantaged, no. No you won't be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Terry Tibbs
You wouldn't be at any disadvantage compared to the likes of economics students in terms of how you're viewed by employers, you just need to do a bit more research and become more commercially aware about finance. Why Warwick or Durham might as I ask?

They both seem to be good unis, both of them are top 10 UK for physics.
Original post by Jasop
They both seem to be good unis, both of them are top 10 UK for physics.
Ah okay was just curious as I'm a Physics student at the University of Manchester who also wants to get into Finance, Durham and especially Warwick are definitely good choices even though Physics isn't their specialty.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending