The Student Room Group

A Tale of Two Traffic Lights

The Tale of Two Traffic Lights

Once upon a time there were two traffic lights in a gloomy old town, there was nothing nice to look at and the sun never shone. Green was happy enough with his life having never been a man of ambition but one day Red piped up,

“Green, you know one place I want to go? Blackpool. It’s so much more interesting there, people will appreciate my light for what it is. I can’t help that I was born red. I have to stop everyone while they are all happy at you greens for letting them go again. In Blackpool all colour of lights will be seen as equal, so that is where I would greatly like to go.”

Green replied that he had no particular objections to the idea, he was so laid back he would do anything Red thought was a good idea. So the next day they set off for the illuminations of Blackpool. How they travelled will be a mystery known only to them. Maybe it was through other traffic lights, maybe it was through electricity lines. Regardless, they soon got there and were assaulted by the sights and sounds of the busy city.

It was completely different to their gloomy old town. It was the night before Christmas and far from all being calm. There was a bustling atmosphere with a slight dash of panic; there were those last minute shoppers out to get presents they had suddenly remembered they’d forgot, there were everyday citizens out and about on their daily rounds, but, most importantly there were the tourists down to see the lights.

Oh! The lights. They were hardly anything Red or Green could describe, they were, quite literally, dazzled. Lights were everywhere of all different colours and types. Red and Green stood. They stood and waited. They had no idea what to do. They only other light they had never known was Jo, the street light up their road and he was far from magnificent. He did about as much to light up the road as one of those tiny cheap 99p torches do to a giant chasm. However here was a different story, it was like an artificial daylight, except every spectrum of colour known to man was here. However as he was slowly turning around in awe Red’s eyes alighted on one thing and one thing only, he immediately knew that was where he was to go, the Blackpool tower. In a flash pulling green along with him he was over there and climbing up and up, regardless of how far he was getting from the ground. Eventually he found a spot that was free, it must have belonged to a light that had passed away long ago. He slotted himself in and admired the view from multiple stories up. He could safely say he was the happiest and brightest bulb in the world.

As for Green, he went back to a traffic light.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending