The Student Room Group

Dont know much about Uni's/ UCAS

Hello all,

I am a bit unfamiliar with the whole process of applications with universities so I have a couple of questions, if you could kindly answer them I would be very thankful. :smile:

What is clearing, how does it work?
What happens if I get rejections on all my choices?
Do I have to declare every qualification I have on UCAS form, including those that are below grade C?
Do I have to go to that university if I get one offer out of the 6?
Do university know your grades/ qualification? Do they do a qualification check?
Also is it possible to decline AS level grades after the deadline, which in my case is 2006 exams?
What is clearing, how does it work? It starts on results day in August and is for everyone who holds no offers, either because they were rejected from everywhere they applied to or because they declined all their offers. It's usually more informal, with most people questioned and given offers over the phone, and unis will probably relax their entry requirements to fill their places. Vacancies are listed in the Independent and UCAS will send you something called a Clearing Passport to apply with if you're eligible.

What happens if I get rejections on all my choices? You can try Extra first, which is kind of like Clearing but opens in March. You can only apply to one uni at a time and you can only accept one offer, so you can't have an insurance.

Do I have to declare every qualification I have on UCAS form, including those that are below grade C? Yes, unless you decline them.

Do I have to go to that university if I get one offer out of the 6? No, you can decline it and go through Extra/Clearing.

Do university know your grades/ qualification? Do they do a qualification check? Your final A-level grades are sent to the unis automatically by UCAS, who get them from the exam boards, so they can see whether or not you've met your offer. They do random spot checks on GCSE and AS grades.

Also is it possible to decline AS level grades after the deadline, which in my case is 2006 exams? Possibly, but I think your exams officer has to write a formal letter to the exam board explaining why the decline is so late and pay a fee. It's up to the exam board whether they allow it or not.
Reply 2
Thank you very much kellywood_5, for replying back and answering all my questions. :smile:
honeypot
Thank you very much kellywood_5, for replying back and answering all my questions. :smile:

You're welcome :smile:
Reply 4
Not much to add obviously, but I thought I would add a few details.

What is clearing, how does it work?
Clearling is an attempt to match up University places that are left over - either because people have not achieved the required grades or have changed their mind about their first choice, although it is technically legally binding. Clearly is used by people who have not achieved the grades for their firm or their insurance choice or by those who have decided to change courses once they have got their exam results for whatever reason.

What happens if I get rejections on all my choices?
As Kelly said, you go through UCAS Extra. This gives you an opportunity to apply to additional instituions to see if you can secure at least one offer before the results are published. If you are offered a place via Extra, this will work in the same way as a normal UCAS application when the resuklts are published.

Do I have to declare every qualification I have on UCAS form, including those that are below grade C?
Nothing else to add here

Do I have to go to that university if I get one offer out of the 6?
No you can decline it and either go through clearing
Do university know your grades/ qualification? Do they do a qualification check?

UIf you're applying this year, the Universities will receive the grades on the Sunday prior to Results Day, so they will be able to make a decision boy results day Thursday. You can check via UCAS Track on results day whether you have been accepted into your firm and insurance Universities before collecting your results

Also is it possible to decline AS level grades after the deadline, which in my case is 2006 exams?
Kellywood is right. But remember that resitting AS modules will still allow you to improve on your overall A-Level result, even though the actual AS grade does not change, but it does become largely insignificant if you go on to A2 anyway because that is your grade for the entire qualification. AS and A2 marks are added together for the total A-Level award, so the more marks you can achieve at AS, the stronger position you will be in.

Good luck
Reply 5
What if I get rejected from all my choices for one subject can I change my choices to a different subject to different universities and change my ucas statement?

Example-

Rejected for all six applications to study law, but then I change my mind to study economics at different universities, can I change my ucas statement to an economics one?
Reply 6
honeypot
What if I get rejected from all my choices for one subject can I change my choices to a different subject to different universities and change my ucas statement?

Example-

Rejected for all six applications to study law, but then I change my mind to study economics at different universities, can I change my ucas statement to an economics one?

I'm probably wrong, but I didn't think unis ever got to see your UCAS form if you went through Clearing? I assume they will do through Extra, though?
Reply 7
Oh dear, now I'm lost. Have no idea of this 'clearing' jargon :frown:
honeypot
Oh dear, now I'm lost. Have no idea of this 'clearing' jargon :frown:

Clearing is just the name for the process you enter if either you apply later than the 30th June, you didn't get any offers originally, you declined all your offers or you didn't meet the conditions of your offers. So basically, if you're holding no offers on results day, which is when Clearing opens, you're entered for it. Unis that still have vacancies list them in the Idependent and I think on the UCAS website and their own websites along with contact details. You phone them, they ask you some questions, they can also view your original application if you give them your UCAS number and I think they usually make an informal decision over the phone in most cases, but to make it official, you have to send them your Clearing passport, which UCAS will send you. You can only apply to one uni at a time. If you check the results day/Clearing sticky at the top of this subforum or the UCAS website, I'm sure it'll be explained much better there.
Reply 9
honeypot

Example-

You can't change your PS on UCAS, but you can submit a revised one to any uni you apply to through Extra. If you are planning a change of course choice when applying through Extra, it is recommended that you contact the uni before submitting your application through UCAS, first to sound them out about how interested they might be in an application from you, and secondly to let them know you plan to send them a revised PS and to check who it should be emailed to.

Latest

Trending

Trending