The Student Room Group

First day of uni tips?

My aunt is the only one in my family to go to university. I'm going to Glasgow in Autumn and she's kind of freaked me out by saying that her first day at Edinburgh uni was "horrific" and it's stupid but she's honestly scared me a little bit with horror stories about her first day. I'm generally a very independent and sociable person and I have a wide circle of friends right now so I know I shouldn't let her put me off but I'm still a bit worried. I've worked so hard to get to uni and I was just curious as to whether anyone has some tips for my first day?
Reply 1
Original post by TinyPhasma
My aunt is the only one in my family to go to university. I'm going to Glasgow in Autumn and she's kind of freaked me out by saying that her first day at Edinburgh uni was "horrific" and it's stupid but she's honestly scared me a little bit with horror stories about her first day. I'm generally a very independent and sociable person and I have a wide circle of friends right now so I know I shouldn't let her put me off but I'm still a bit worried. I've worked so hard to get to uni and I was just curious as to whether anyone has some tips for my first day?

You'll be fine, keep your door open, perhaps some introductory snacks :wink: , get rid of family quickly, and hopefully you should be set.
Kick your parents out asap or ask them to go explore for a couple of hours while you unpack and meet your flatmates, keep your door open, bring a crate of booze or a large bottle of your standard smirnoff/havana club plus coke, if you arrive quite early go for a walk around, keep your ID on you, bring a few snacks (some for yourself because it'll be a long day, extra brownie points if you bring some for other people).
As above, keeping your door open is one thing to do - if I was in my room the door would be open unless I needed privacy or was asleep.

Snacks (particularly homemade ones) are a way of setting a first impression.

Expect to feel homesick or doubtful about uni. This may not happen on your first day, most likely at some point during the first few weeks. For most people it does get better, but if it's persistent and you've really thought about it, then that's the time to think about what you can do from there.

Get involved with however much you want, and get to know the people you're living with. You'll find that although the house might get on in general, there are smaller friendship groups within it and you don't want to be left alone not talking to anyone in your house. But don't feel pressured to do anything that you don't want to.
Original post by SeanFM
As above, keeping your door open is one thing to do - if I was in my room the door would be open unless I needed privacy or was asleep.

Snacks (particularly homemade ones) are a way of setting a first impression.

Expect to feel homesick or doubtful about uni. This may not happen on your first day, most likely at some point during the first few weeks. For most people it does get better, but if it's persistent and you've really thought about it, then that's the time to think about what you can do from there.

Get involved with however much you want, and get to know the people you're living with. You'll find that although the house might get on in general, there are smaller friendship groups within it and you don't want to be left alone not talking to anyone in your house. But don't feel pressured to do anything that you don't want to.

I never liked keeping my door open. It made me so anxious. So I kept my door close and I made friends otherwise. Lol
Original post by TinyPhasma
x

-Always make sure you make your bed before you go out for the evening! You don't want to come home after a big night out and have to sort out your sheets while you're drunk of your face!

-If you're in self catered accommodation, bring a couple of days worth of food. You don't want to be stressing about starving to death when you're trying to find your feet in a new city.

-Talk to anyone and everyone! Obviously your flatmates will be your first point of call, but before you start, try and find course mates or people interested in joining the same societies as you on FB. If your uni does taster sessions for societies, go along to them to find societies that suit you best, then give your all to them. The more people you meet, the more people you get on with you'll meet :smile:

-Even if you're not a big drinker, still try and get as involved as possible. No one's gonna care if you're drinking coke all night-it looks no different to vodka and coke!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending