The Student Room Group

Mature students funding

Hi I've searched through the internet and I can't find a answer. I wanted to know what funding is available for mature students. My situation is different, I started uni in 2008 then I left for personal reasons, then I did my first and second year in 2009 and 2010. I left in 2011 because my personal problems got worse. I started work and had to leave because my problems were affecting it. So now I'm unemployed and I want to finish my third year of my first degree in 2017 or 2018 so I'll be 27/28 when I do it. Is there a student finance for mature students or will I need to pay my own way even though I still have one year left of my student finance when I studied five years ago. Thanks to anyone who can help me. :smile:
Original post by Indieboohoo1
Hi I've searched through the internet and I can't find a answer. I wanted to know what funding is available for mature students. My situation is different, I started uni in 2008 then I left for personal reasons, then I did my first and second year in 2009 and 2010. I left in 2011 because my personal problems got worse. I started work and had to leave because my problems were affecting it. So now I'm unemployed and I want to finish my third year of my first degree in 2017 or 2018 so I'll be 27/28 when I do it. Is there a student finance for mature students or will I need to pay my own way even though I still have one year left of my student finance when I studied five years ago. Thanks to anyone who can help me. :smile:

I'm not sure how it will work if you already started and dropped out, but I applied and as it's my first degree SF is exactly the same as it would be for an 18 year old just off to uni. The SFE people are very helpful if you phone them though, and I think they can advise you through FB too.
Original post by RachaelBee
I'm not sure how it will work if you already started and dropped out, but I applied and as it's my first degree SF is exactly the same as it would be for an 18 year old just off to uni. The SFE people are very helpful if you phone them though, and I think they can advise you through FB too.

Oh ok :smile:
Original post by Indieboohoo1
Oh ok :smile:

You get length of course + 1 for your entitlement. Your case is probably going to be a bit complex as you've started twice and used three years already, but you could possibly argue that you technically still have the +1 year available to you if you're able to transfer straight into the final year of another course.
Original post by SuperCat007
You get length of course + 1 for your entitlement. Your case is probably going to be a bit complex as you've started twice and used three years already, but you could possibly argue that you technically still have the +1 year available to you if you're able to transfer straight into the final year of another course.

Oh ok thanks :smile:
I think SF will help you for your final year because funding is the same for mature students but phone them and ask to make sure

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can't work out from what you wrote if you have a year left in your entitlement. If you do, then it won't be a problem.

If you don't and you can provide evidence that you dropped out for what you describe as personal problems such as a letter from your GP, student finance may not count previous years funding towards the total and let you claim for another year. They call it compelling personal reasons.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending