The Student Room Group

My insurance went up 500%

Got a renewal quote in the mail. The renewal is for over a grand where as my insurance last year was £200. Obviously not gonna pay it. In fact I'm not even gonna bother phoning the company to question it because I can get a quote for less than £200 from another company. It does make me wonder because this sort of thing is far from unheard of in the insurance game.
I'm thinkin maybe the company is dealing with more customers, claims etc than it can comfortably handle. So to ease the pressure it is literally forcing customers to go elsewhere until they get back to a point they can manage their workload. Its the closest explanation to making sense that I can think of.
Original post by Laomedeia
Got a renewal quote in the mail. The renewal is for over a grand where as my insurance last year was £200. Obviously not gonna pay it. In fact I'm not even gonna bother phoning the company to question it because I can get a quote for less than £200 from another company. It does make me wonder because this sort of thing is far from unheard of in the insurance game.
I'm thinkin maybe the company is dealing with more customers, claims etc than it can comfortably handle. So to ease the pressure it is literally forcing customers to go elsewhere until they get back to a point they can manage their workload. Its the closest explanation to making sense that I can think of.

Wow, that's incredible (in a bad way...)!

Perhaps some kind of error or something? As I'd be incredibly surprised if it were just because they're getting more claims... £800 increase is masssive!!!
Reply 2
I had the same situation a few years ago. 1st year was £650. 2nd year quote was £990. Was getting quotes on confused.com for £500. I gave them a call and they said its just the number the computer came up with and they cant do anything with it, so I just didnt renew the policy and went with another company. Coincidentally im back with that same company again this year when the other company wouldnt give me a good price.

Its just the way insurance companies operate, they count on people (especially the elderly) not bothering to shop around and allowing themselves to get fleeced.
Ouch
Reply 4
Insurance companies have a tendency to treat their customers like they were born yesterday. Unfortunately this because most of them actually are. They know that if if they put up the renewal price people will still buy it, because they can't be bothered to switch to another provider. The same happens with energy companies, banks, and many other industries. Essentially it's a tax on lazy and/or stupid people.
Original post by Dez
Insurance companies have a tendency to treat their customers like they were born yesterday. Unfortunately this because most of them actually are. They know that if if they put up the renewal price people will still buy it, because they can't be bothered to switch to another provider. The same happens with energy companies, banks, and many other industries. Essentially it's a tax on lazy and/or stupid people.

Not always lazy/stupid. During the time of my FYP, all I did with regards to "Looking around" Was comparing on websites, but not actually phoning companies up for a quote, which tends to work out cheaper. I simply did not have the time for that, as I had my FYP

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending