The Student Room Group

Questions About Student Account

Hi, I'm looking at opening a student account with Santander for my student finance (it's been recommended to have a different account for student stuff and savings). However the 123 student current account that Santander has states that it's only available to those who are over the age of 18, of which I am not because my birthday is in July. I find it a little bit unfair that those who would be applying for the same university with the same course as me would be able to use this account whereas I'd have to use a different bank and have to change over when I turn 18 to ensure I get the money in time for university.

Would they allow me to open a student account for student finance (where the money may not go in until after I turn 18 anyway) even though I am not 18 and wont use the account at all until I am 18 and at university?

Has anyone else been in this situation and had to change the account over after they turn 18 because of Santander's policy?

I would look on the student finance website but it seems to be down at the moment, if anyone knows when it will be back up that would be great.
Original post by Craig1998
Hi, I'm looking at opening a student account with Santander for my student finance (it's been recommended to have a different account for student stuff and savings). However the 123 student current account that Santander has states that it's only available to those who are over the age of 18, of which I am not because my birthday is in July. I find it a little bit unfair that those who would be applying for the same university with the same course as me would be able to use this account whereas I'd have to use a different bank and have to change over when I turn 18 to ensure I get the money in time for university.

Would they allow me to open a student account for student finance (where the money may not go in until after I turn 18 anyway) even though I am not 18 and wont use the account at all until I am 18 and at university?

Has anyone else been in this situation and had to change the account over after they turn 18 because of Santander's policy?

I would look on the student finance website but it seems to be down at the moment, if anyone knows when it will be back up that would be great.

I don't really understand what you're trying to say...

When I got my student account with Santander last year I was 18, but I couldn't get it until after results day in August when I had my AS12 come through on UCAS Track. If for whatever reason you have your AS12, just wait until you're 18 and then set your account up? It doesn't matter when you set your account up. You don't even need a student account (but it would be stupid not to get one!!!).
Reply 2
Original post by pizzanomics
I don't really understand what you're trying to say...

When I got my student account with Santander last year I was 18, but I couldn't get it until after results day in August when I had my AS12 come through on UCAS Track. If for whatever reason you have your AS12, just wait until you're 18 and then set your account up? It doesn't matter when you set your account up. You don't even need a student account (but it would be stupid not to get one!!!).

So am I able to set the account up now and use it when I apply for student finance?

My issue is is that it says that I need to be 18 to apply for the student account but I'm currently 17 and will turn 18 after the end of May "deadline" for student finance (after which money may be late going into the account).
Reply 3
So am I able to set the account up now and use it when I apply for student finance?

My issue is is that it says that I need to be 18 to apply for the student account but I'm currently 17 and will turn 18 after the end of May "deadline" for student finance (after which money may be late going into the account).

You have to be 18 because you're getting an overdraft. If you're not 18 you're not deemed old enough to enter into a contract, so banks can't lend you money.

You can apply for a basic bank account with Santander . This won't have an overdraft. Then you can upgrade when you are 18. The account number and sort code will stay the same, so you can declare the details when applying for finance

But you don't need the account to apply for student finance? Just open a regular account then change it to a student account when you get your AS12.
Reply 5

There are a few misunderstandings here, I think.

In order to get a student account, you need to have accepted a place at uni and have your confirmation letter/email as proof. In this respect, everyone with a conditional offer is in the same boat - results day is the very earliest anyone can apply for a student bank account with any bank.

Secondly, you do not need a bank account in order to apply for Student Finance now. You should submit your application as soon as possible. You log back in and update it with new bank account details, once you have your account in a couple of months.

You will have your uni place and be 18 in enough time to open your student account and update the SF system with those details.
Reply 6
Original post by Klix88
Secondly, you do not need a bank account in order to apply for Student Finance now. You should submit your application as soon as possible. You log back in and update it with new bank account details, once you have your account in a couple of months.

You will have your uni place and be 18 in enough time to open your student account and update the SF system with those details.

Ok thank you. I would have checked this through student finance last night but the website was down.... and it seems to be still down this is a bit of a joke.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending