The Student Room Group

GCSE grades for medicine..?

So GCSEs start in 9 days and I've read some stuff on GCSE requirements for different universities to take medicine. Some places say you've got to get around 7/8 A*s to be considered but then some say its much lower - 5A*s being sufficient. It's kind of confusing, and especially because the AS levels are being removed so universities will focus more on GCSEs as they would be the only official exam results available when applying.

I was previously hoping for 6A*s in the sciences, maths and other humanities but I don't know if this should be enough any more :frown: How many would be required to be considered a competitive applicant for universities like UCL/imperial for a medicine course?

Any advice would be appreciated :smile:
Generally your GCSE's don't matter as much as your A Levels. You need minimum 7 A*-C's for GCSE. But obviously the more A* and A's, the better. Even if you don't get 6 A*s as you aim to, then don't stress - you can still get into a university to do medicine.

By the way, every university requirement varies, this is a rough idea. You can check out your preferred universities medicine course GCSE requirement on their website.

Hope this helped. :h:
Thank youu, that helped to clear things up a bit :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest