The Student Room Group

Student finance for a second degree

So currently I am studying a psychology degree at undergraduate level. I have decided that I would like to study veterinary nursing as I have a vast amount of experience working with animals and it is something that I have always thought of doing. However, I am close to graduating so I feel as though I should complete my degree. Would I be able to get help from student finance? Or would I have to fund the degree myself?
They were talking about funding STEM subjects. But I've not heard anything more than that. Currently, you can get funding for a few second degrees. Unfortuantely, vetinary nursing isn't one of them.
Reply 2
You would have to fund the first and second year of your second degree, with only the final year being eligible for funding. (If you completed a typical 3 year degree).

I completed two years of a degree previously. I have returned to complete the same degree 20 years later. I have had to self fund my first year tuition fees.

The government put a stop to multiple funded degrees. You now have a maximum 4 years tuition funding available at undergraduate level.
Reply 3
I guess that the good news though is that you can continue to receive more of the living expenses loan element. If you have somewhere to live for free, a partner that can deal with the living expenses, or a job, then you can use the loan to pay for tuition fees.
Original post by CCC75
You would have to fund the first and second year of your second degree, with only the final year being eligible for funding. (If you completed a typical 3 year degree).

I completed two years of a degree previously. I have returned to complete the same degree 20 years later. I have had to self fund my first year tuition fees.

The government put a stop to multiple funded degrees. You now have a maximum 4 years tuition funding available at undergraduate level.

The ELQ rules apply; so if you have a degree already, you can't get funding for the final year of another degree. There are a few exceptions to this.

If you've done 2 years, you can get funding for the final year or a "top-up".

You don't have 4 years funding. You have length of course + 1 - previous years study.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending