Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Who is liable in this case?

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    Alice and Bob both live in a property which is divided into 2 flats. They are jointly responsible for the well-being of the building as a whole, but their respective flats are individually owned.

    Bob asks Charlie to do some building work for his flat. Charlie does so. Also, another builder, Derek, has been contracted to do some general maintenance work on the building as a whole.

    Alice finds that part of the exterior of her part of the building has been damaged when it wasn't before. She asks Derek about it and he says that Charlie did it. She therefore asked Bob to pay for the repairs for her part of the building.

    Though Bob cannot be absolutely certain, he thinks that it is probably the case that Charlie did indeed cause the damage.

    What should Bob do (both morally and legally), and why?
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 10, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.