The Student Room Group

Reading over the summer

How much are you reading over the summer?
Personally I want to read as much as possible because upon starting university I will not be in touch with my "artsy" side for a while, and I would not like to come across as an over-specialized science student who knows nothing about literature.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm going to be reading a LOT, both for pleasure and (though for me it's a pleasure as well) for preparation for my course...but then I am going to be an English student, so I guess I'm more inclined to read. I think I will, apart from reading lists, get down to reading some of those books on my bookshelf that I've been meaning to read for aages but never get around to and ones that I know are unlikely to come up on my course - probably a lot of foreign language literature and contemporary novels.
Reply 2
Yes I shall hopefully read lots too, preferably some philosophy but also just literature in general from any period.

I'd like to read some more of Michael Ondaatje.
Reply 3
I have quite a lot of stuff to read for my course, and when you add in the books that I have had for ages but never read, I have loads to get read.
Reply 4
During my exams I've been book-deprived... so I'm going to read as much as possible! And maybe a few popular science books in prep for UCAS applications.
Reply 5
Excalibur
During my exams I've been book-deprived... so I'm going to read as much as possible! And maybe a few popular science books in prep for UCAS applications.

Yeah, bloody exams. Haven't read Middlemarch in around a week.
Reply 6
Well I'm aiming to read War and Peace and the complete works of Marx.

It's good to have a target :smile:
Reply 7
ukebert
Well I'm aiming to read War and Peace and the complete works of Marx.

It's good to have a target :smile:

Including Capital? :eek:
Reply 8
Yeah... I won't get through it, but its a challenge.
Reply 9
Well I've put off reading 'The Lovely Bones' for a long time now, maybe I'll check it out over the summer. Plus I'll need it for English Literature next year. Right now I'm reading Nineteen Eighty-Four and The Go-Between. Over the summer I plan to read Beloved (Toni Morrison) and Saturday (Ian McEwan).

Might get round to reading other books.
I have a little stack to work through. Must do some philosophical reading for personal s. Eugh.

Also must re-read Harry Potters! Can't wait for the last one!
I just want to get through the 12 unread books that are taunting me. I haven't seen my uni reading list yet.
Reply 12
Ah yes, I've set myself a challenge... all 6 Harry potters the day before the 7th comes out. I've worked out that I should just be able to do it.
Cataclysm
Well I've put off reading 'The Lovely Bones' for a long time now, maybe I'll check it out over the summer. Plus I'll need it for English Literature next year. Right now I'm reading Nineteen Eighty-Four and The Go-Between. Over the summer I plan to read Beloved (Toni Morrison) and Saturday (Ian McEwan).

Might get round to reading other books.

The Lovely Bones is a great book, though it's surprising that you're doing that for English Lit - it's still quite new!

Oooh, must read Saturday too. In fact, I have about 30+ books listed that I want to read.......
:hmmmm:I have nothing to read :frown: ....and no money to buy new books ....and I am not going to my grandmothers house so I wont see her wonderful library :s: and I wont take books from her ..... ANd the books here are sssoooo expensive :bawling:
Reply 15
Do you have a local library?
Reply 16
I have loads of books I've been saving for after the exams; it's so nice to have the time to read them now. Especially in the sunshine. :smile:

ukebert
Ah yes, I've set myself a challenge... all 6 Harry potters the day before the 7th comes out. I've worked out that I should just be able to do it.

Ooh, good idea. :biggrin: I might do that too...
Reply 17
I worked out that if I started at 6am and finished at 12, I should have time to eat meals as well :smile:

Actually I'll probably start at 8 and finish at 2...
Reply 18
As i'm taking a gap year, I have an entire year to read everything i've wanted to for the last few years of school! (i've been taking english for A-level and this year - well, i've read nothing but world war literature ¬¬) I'm definitely going to try to get through some of the classics - Dostoevsky, War and Peace will be coming with me on my plane flights as it's the only way i'm going to get through it - and of course, the last Harry Potter book! :P
Reply 19
I worked out that if I started at 6am and finished at 12, I should have time to eat meals as well

Actually I'll probably start at 8 and finish at 2...

Yup, I want to finish in time for a sleep before midnight, then I can get started on the new one as soon as I get it and read through the night (well, morning).

I'm geekily excited. :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending