The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Depends on the subject really.
There are subjects that have difficults units both in AS and A2.
Reply 2
I personally found A2 to be a bit more graft in terms of understanding the more intense topics, and required a bit more practice on questions etc.

For AS I was able to learn markschemes and get an A despite gaps in actual understanding. A2 I found requires a bit more in the way of understanding the work especially for synoptic stuff where they can make you adapt knowledge to weird situations.

Ourkid
At A2 There is certainly more to do however i think you just have to keep working hard as at the end of the day you need good grades to get into university. There is a lot of work at A2, well all my subjects go into depth about stuff but really TBH there isn't that much of a jump, i guess you really get used to the work there is.
Reply 4
It depends entirely on the subject. For Economics i find myself working the same as AS. For Maths i'm working slightly harder and for Biology i'm working MUCH harder...theres just so much to learn! :mad:
yep hoping to get my A in German for A2 tommorow again! :biggrin:
Reply 6
depends how well u do at AS.
if u do really well at AS u dont need to do so well at A2 coz its all about points.
pheonixfire
depends how well u do at AS.
if u do really well at AS u dont need to do so well at A2 coz its all about points.
You need to do well in both AS and A2. Your way of thinking is a very very bad way of thinking.
Reply 8
coldplasma
You need to do well in both AS and A2.

No you don't. If you got 280, for example, at AS, then you'd only need 200 for an A at A2. 200/300 is the equivalent of a C.

Personally I've found A2 to be harder. Even though I don't have to do quite as well (about 15 - 20 UMS less than last year), I'm having to work twice as hard.
Reply 9
coldplasma
You need to do well in both AS and A2. Your way of thinking is a very very bad way of thinking.

Well hardly - A levels have become a case of jumping through hoops in order to get the grade. Although I appreciate it's a bad attitude in terms of developing understanding and progression within a subject - I have to admit I'd trade genuine thorough and in-depth understanding for an A on my CV anyday.

These days people can't afford to sacrifice grades for such in-depth understanding if they're going to compete with everyone else for uni places etc, despite understanding and grade achieved being incredibly interwoven.

Ourkid
Reply 10
Theoretically A2 is harder but it doesn't always work that way. For us sociology module 4 was the easiest we'd done.

Also, if, like me, you are a late starter or slow to catch on, it takes time to learn how to get good grades in exams. This meant that AS was a bit like a practice year whereas A2 was when I really started to get it and so did better - so in that respect I guess I found them slightly easier.

However, the the amount of stuff you actually have to learn is way way heavier for A2. But that's not difficulty, it's memory (although granted it can be difficult to remember that much!).
Reply 11
It's easier to gain marks at AS then it is at A2 so therefore if you get as many marks as you can at AS, a good grade at A2 theoretically will become easier to obtain. I got an A at AS last year in one of my subjects, got a C in January but I'm still on course for a high grade...hopefully.... it's just so much easier to get an A at AS.
Reply 12
For me, A2s have been considerably more difficult. I managed to get very high A grades at AS, but I am really struggling with the complexity and sheer amount of learning necessary for the A2 modules. My January A2 module results were very disappointing.

In my eyes, the jump from AS to A2 is far, far greater than the jump between GCSE and AS. For my subjects the content in each of the A2 modules seems to greater than the content in AS overall.
Reply 13
becci1508
It's easier to gain marks at AS then it is at A2 so therefore if you get as many marks as you can at AS, a good grade at A2 theoretically will become easier to obtain. I got an A at AS last year in one of my subjects, got a C in January but I'm still on course for a high grade...hopefully.... it's just so much easier to get an A at AS.

I completely agree. My number one piece of advice to people in the year below me is to work ultra hard to secure top UMS scores in AS. It helps relieve the pressure come A2s. It's not that hard to get over 270 at AS level, but to get over 270/300 in the A2 exams is extremely difficult and requires much more understanding and depth.
Reply 14
coldplasma

Not true, as has been stated. I know many people who, through re-takes, have secured AS UMS scores of nearly 300/300. This means they need little over 180/300 at A2 to get an overall grade A. That's not too hard if you managed to get a good AS grade in the first place.
You can't just think "I'll get the most marks at AS, so I won't have to work as hard at A2". This will not get you the grades you want. Sure, by all means try and get what you can at AS since they are easy points, but don't go thinking that you won't need to do as well at A2. If you want an A overall, you will want to get an A at AS and A2.
Reply 16
coldplasma
If you want an A overall, you will want to get an A at AS and A2.

Your argument is completely flawed. Obviously people want to get an A at AS and A2 to get an A overall, but it certainly isn't necessary. I know that I probably won't manage an A in Biology or Chemistry at A2, but I am still on target for an A overall, thanks to my strong AS scores.
Reply 17
Yeh do well at AS kids and A2 can become a hell of a lot easier.

I got 280 for Ancient History, which is a bitch of an AS because the mark schemes basically require you to have read every ancient source possible relating to your topic, though you can get round this by reading the most important ones and stealing the opinions of people who have written summaries.

However, because I got this mark, and did well in the coursework 93/100 raw marks, even if the coursework goes down a little to 90 or so, then I need 110/200 to get an A, meaning I need to get two mid level Ds on my remaining papers. Which is easier, getting over 90% UMS at AS or getting Ds in A2 papers? I'd choose the latter any day.

Overall I'd say it is generally harder to get an A at A2, certainly is for German and Classics. However, The only point of A2 grades is in determining your total A level grade, they have no independent merit, unlike AS grades which go on yourUCAS form etc. I would far rather have very high AS grades, lower A2s and an A overall, than low AS grades, not be going to a good uni , high A2s and then an A overall.
Reply 18
coldplasma
If you want an A overall, you will want to get an A at AS and A2.

Thelfo

No you don't. If you got 280, for example, at AS, then you'd only need 200 for an A at A2. 200/300 is the equivalent of a C.

Do you think Thelfo is wrong, Coldplasma?
Reply 19
mercexe
I completely agree. My number one piece of advice to people in the year below me is to work ultra hard to secure top UMS scores in AS. It helps relieve the pressure come A2s. It's not that hard to get over 270 at AS level, but to get over 270/300 in the A2 exams is extremely difficult and requires much more understanding and depth.

:eek:, I wish I'd found it not that hard to get 270+ in my AS modules!

Latest