The Student Room Group

Meng vs. MSc Engineering

I am in my final year studying Beng Mechanical Engineering and I am stuck deciding whether to transfer onto the Meng course or alternatively apply for MSc courses in Mechanical Engineering. I know that a MSc course is longer and consists of an individual project whereas the Meng has a group project component. Although I like my university, the idea of studying a Masters elsewhere appeals to me. The MSc course at University of Southampton particularly attracts me due to the course content. (Propulsion and Engine Systems in Engineering).

Has anyone been in the same boat making this decision? Ultimately it will be an individual decision, but it is good gathering opinions. Furthermore, if anyone has experience with MSc engineering courses at University of Southampton and could shed light on their thoughts, I would highly appreciate it!
(edited 7 years ago)
It doesn't make much of a difference to employers, I'd say go with what you're interested in or can afford.
Reply 2
Original post by ResultantForce
I am in my final year studying Beng Mechanical Engineering and I am stuck deciding whether to transfer onto the Meng course or alternatively apply for MSc courses in Mechanical Engineering. I know that a MSc course is longer and consists of an individual project whereas the Meng has a group project component. Although I like my university, the idea of studying a Masters elsewhere appeals to me. The MSc course at University of Southampton particularly attracts me due to the course content. (Propulsion and Engine Systems in Engineering).

Has anyone been in the same boat making this decision? Ultimately it will be an individual decision, but it is good gathering opinions. Furthermore, if anyone has experience with MSc engineering courses at University of Southampton and could shed light on their thoughts, I would highly appreciate it!

A key thing is the cost. You don't get the same level of funding for the MSc as you do for the MEng.

If that's not an issue then go for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest