The Student Room Group

What A Level subject should I drop?

I am in Year 12 and at the moment studying four subjects, but have to drop one of them for next year.
I study geography, psychology, English lit and biology.
My favourite subjects are psychology and geography, so I am definitely continuing with them next year and thinking about studying either one of those at university.
However, I'm not sure which subject to drop out of biology and English Lit. On the one hand, I'm getting As in biology but Cs in English (with a lot of effort!), but I have a slight preference for English as I find it more fun/relaxing. However, most of the uni courses that I've looked at are asking for AAA or AAB etc. and I'm not sure if I can get the top grades if I stick with English. Then again, I'd miss studying it as I quite enjoy the lessons/reading the books and everything!
Help!
Plus, I'm really worried about telling my English teachers if I do decide to drop it, because they think I'm carrying it on next year and have no idea I'm thinking about dropping it :/
(edited 7 years ago)
Based on what you've said, I would say that you should drop English Lit. You seem to do much better in Biology, even though you don't enjoy it as much, therefore it will be easier for you to get the high grades you need if you carry it on instead of English Lit. Also, you don't have to give up reading if you don't want to, you can still do it as a hobby if you drop English Lit. Biology would also be useful because it relates to both psychology and geography, and it would count towards the science entry requirements of both subjects :smile:
Reply 2
Drop psychology because it's the 'worst' (least academic).
If I were you then I'd probably drop English Lit- I know you prefer it a bit more but is there much point in carrying it on if you're doing better in biology? You could also drop it and maybe carry on reading books/ doing some stuff you do in Eng Lit ad a hobby alongside your A levels next year to put on your CV if that makes sense?
I wouldn't worry about what your teachers might think etc because all teachers are expecting people to drop subjects after AS so they won't be really shocked or anything.
Hope it all works out :smile:
I'd say English because if ur finding it hard and managing c's it will most likely get harder next year and altho u might not enjoy biology as much, ull probably get a higher grade than you might with English lit and that will probably be more useful in ucas points. Also, if u still like English lit maybe do it as an enrichment instead for year 13, am not sure if your college does it as an enrichment but if they do then at least you won't be worried about the grades but can still carry it on. It all depends on what you wanna do tho so hope you chose the right one 😄
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest