The Student Room Group

Is Engineering Physics worth doing?

Recently I've been looking at Uni courses and with my best subject being physics (specifically quantum) I thought it would be best to focus on physics courses but I am aware of the lack of employment opportunities available to physics graduates as opposed to those that take engineering instead so I looked for some middle ground.

The course I found was Engineering Physics at Loughborough (and some others but this is what caught my eye)
http://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/departments/physics/engineering-physics/
However the entry requirements for this course (Bsc) are ABB which is low when compared to straight up Engineering at many other Uni's of a similar level.
So what I wanted to know is is there a reason for this? Is Engineering Physics a weak course? Or is it a problem with the Uni itself?
Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by MDevitto
Recently I've been looking at Uni courses and with my best subject being physics (specifically quantum) I thought it would be best to focus on physics courses but I am aware of the lack of employment opportunities available to physics graduates as opposed to those that take engineering instead so I looked for some middle ground.

The course I found was Engineering Physics at Loughborough (and some others but this is what caught my eye)
http://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/departments/physics/engineering-physics/
However the entry requirements for this course (Bsc) are ABB which is low when compared to straight up Engineering at many other Uni's of a similar level.
So what I wanted to know is is there a reason for this? Is Engineering Physics a weak course? Or is it a problem with the Uni itself?
Thanks

It's not accredited as an engineering course.

That said Lboro has an excellent reputation for engineering. (But this is run by the Physics Dept, not Engineering)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks

If you want to study physics, then study physics - it's far from being one of the worst degrees to have on the jobs market, and if you're not interested in engineering then engineering jobs won't interest you.
Reply 3
Original post by Smack
If you want to study physics, then study physics - it's far from being one of the worst degrees to have on the jobs market, and if you're not interested in engineering then engineering jobs won't interest you.

I am interested in both subjects I was just wondering if there was a specific reason for the lowered entry requirements on this course. The course itself looks great though.
I am interested in both subjects I was just wondering if there was a specific reason for the lowered entry requirements on this course. The course itself looks great though.

Best check with the university, but entry requirements are usually a function of supply and demand.

Thanks

Courses have high entry grades because of its popularity normally, the higher the entry grades the more popular the course is at that university. A mixture of a not so popular uni (for physics not engineering) and it being a very unique course, this is probably why it has lower applicants and therefore entry grades

Quick Reply

Latest