Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Parents wont let me move out.. what excuse shall i use?

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad course - waste of time? 17-10-2016

(Original post by Reue)
    Fortunately in the UK we believe it to be under 18, so adults at that age or over are free to make their own choices.
    Still think that's crazy.
    18 year olds are so childish lol don't know how to wash their own clothes or cook s*** lmao

(Original post by Reue)
    Fortunately in the UK we believe it to be under 18, so adults at that age or over are free to make their own choices.
    You make some good points but I think you're arguing with a child in all honesty

If they're coming from a financial point of view, then try and estimate the exact difference in costs - remember that if youre commuting you need to pay for a car, petrol, car insurance, car tax, car maintenance, parking, etc. which easily amounts to a couple of thousand pounds. Or if you take the bus then that can also add up over the year. Wheras living in halls might only be a thousand pounds or so more expensive, and the extra time you have due to not commuting enables you to get a well paid part time job.

I know a lot of Asian parents are quite focused on academics - maybe they think you will study better at home? You can point out that living on campus will give you 24/7 access to the library and your professors/ classmates, commuting time wastes a few hours every day when you could be studying, etc. Also, if a university further from home is higher ranking that's an easy way to demonstrate you will be better off academically by going there

If they're worried about the social life, you can spend this year demonstrating that you are responsible when in comes to partying/ drinking, perhaps consider finding halls that are gender specific or 'quiet' if possible, you can promise to call then regularly, say on Friday nights when parents might expect students to go partying (lol), etc. Basically, you need to build their trust for this one.

(Original post by retro_turtles)
    That being said in Asian families a simple 'i'm and adult' won't do the trick, like OP said she doesn't really want to do anything to hurt them.
    Black African parents here, and that's exactly what I did. If you want something, you will take it with no excuses.

I'm grow up in an Asian family as well, firstly they do not want me to move out. BUT I try to tell them that I need to experience the society and just try to talk to them.
    I'm also 19

But what they saying is that they not going to support me if I move out so better to find a job and apply for student finance if u r in my situation as well.

(Original post by 34908seikj)
    Tell them you've got full blown aids.
    which is transmittable by aerosol.

(Original post by 0to100)
    I did try hard wtf. Honestly don't say that again I do my damndest.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you want to know what your pet is thinking about you?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.