The Student Room Group

Mature Student Quals, Computer Science

Hi all, some of you may be able to help me.

Currently, I'm 20 and looking to go to university aged 22 after completing a level 3 apprenticeship in IT, with a large focus of my course (which will be 120 UCAS points for completion) being on scripting and gaining a working knowledge of computer science and networking.

Previously I completed A levels at a time where I wasn't really taking my education seriously enough and had no idea what I wanted to do. I went to university initially studying Live Audio Technology, which I didn't enjoy and I came back after 3 months. My GCSE/BTEC results were pretty good (equivalent to 15, mostly B's), however my A level results were poor, with a D grade AS and two D's at A Level. This was not down to lack of ability but simply a lack of effort (I can admit it!). My saviour at the time was a Distinction in Music, bringing me up to about 270 UCAS points.

Now I've found a subject area I'm excelling in and really enjoying. This is what I want to do with my life. When I complete the apprenticeship, that'll bring me up to 390 UCAS points (I'm aware of the number system changing but I know the old one best so I'll just use it here for ease) and although many universities will take purely UCAS points without too much concern for the subject, many (if not most) of the higher-tabled universities (top 40) are going on purely grades. Whilst getting into a university of this caliber is not essential for a great career, I'd like to aim as high as I can.

The course I'm looking at going on is listing a normal offer at the AAB/ABB/AAC mark. At the moment, the UCAS points for an AAA is 360 - I'll be above that although with quantity rather than quality, so in-theory based just on UCAS, getting into AAB should be okay. However as the story above explains I don't have that, technically if you wanted to convert BTEC's it would be 2 A's but I'd be missing a third.

My main question is, will I need to do an access course at 22, or will a good university take into account I have that many UCAS points and 2 years of work experience in the sector? I guess the obvious here is "depends on the uni", but if it's 2018 entry, phoning admissions now does seem to be jumping the gun a little. I'm slightly adverse to taking on an access course or a foundation year purely because I'm slightly conscious that companies graduate recruitment schemes I guess are looking for the youngest students for longevity and might be biased to someone graduating aged 25/26, unless someone can put that concern to bed!

Thanks for reading and replying :smile:
Original post by Williams96

My main question is, will I need to do an access course at 22, or will a good university take into account I have that many UCAS points and 2 years of work experience in the sector?

I guess the obvious here is "depends on the uni", but if it's 2018 entry, phoning admissions now does seem to be jumping the gun a little. I'm slightly adverse to taking on an access course or a foundation year purely because I'm slightly conscious that companies graduate recruitment schemes I guess are looking for the youngest students for longevity and might be biased to someone graduating aged 25/26, unless someone can put that concern to bed!

Thanks for reading and replying :smile:

I doubt you'll have to do an Access course, but as you have pointed out, it just does 'depend on the uni' and on where you want to go. You'll have to do what they want for admissions, so the sooner you find out, the better.

You can totally knock on the head the idea that graduating at 25/26 puts you at a disadvantage. No-one plans to employ the same person for a lifetime, so the concept of 'longevity' being greater for a 21 year old graduate versus a 26 year old graduate simply doesn't exist.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending