The Student Room Group

CfE Advanced Higher Mathematics 2016/2017

Scroll to see replies

IMG_2182.jpg

Please help.

No idea how to integrate with the powers????? Pls explain in easy language pls

It's both questions 1(g) and (h)
I am also stuck on this if anyone could help please?

IMG_2184.jpg

I underlined the actual question in that photo and also the substitution given. What am I doing wrong because the answer gives the same as mine but with 1/14 instead of 2/7 in the answer
Reply 182
Original post by gapyearlads
I am also stuck on this if anyone could help please?

IMG_2184.jpg

I underlined the actual question in that photo and also the substitution given. What am I doing wrong because the answer gives the same as mine but with 1/14 instead of 2/7 in the answer

Instead of multiplting it by 2.u^6 i think its 1/2.u^6 because (x+1) dx = 1/2du

Its good u r revising and I still havent started yet:frown:
Original post by xdabex
Instead of multiplting it by 2.u^6 i think its 1/2.u^6 because (x+1) dx = 1/2du

Its good u r revising and I still havent started yet:frown:

Thanks bud, think i got it now.

Hahahaha i need 3A so better start!
Reply 184
Thanks bud, think i got it now.

Hahahaha i need 3A so better start!

3As at adv higher ?? :O are u applying for oxbridge?
Reply 185
Original post by xdabex

Nah, UWS, that's what I heard anyway
Original post by xdabex

Original post by JP298
Nah, UWS, that's what I heard anyway

Hahahahaha naaaahhhh i'm not that smart mate.

I want to study medicine but got 4 rejections so am taking a gap year. Meaning my adv highers are now more important than last year and I have 1.5 weeks left... HELP
Hahahahaha naaaahhhh i'm not that smart mate.

I want to study medicine but got 4 rejections so am taking a gap year. Meaning my adv highers are now more important than last year and I have 1.5 weeks left... HELP

Even if you don't get the requirements this year you could self study those advanced highers next year or go to college and do them. Wow wtf 4 rejections, didn't you get 5A's lol ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RossB1702
Even if you don't get the requirements this year you could self study those advanced highers next year or go to college and do them. Wow wtf 4 rejections, didn't you get 5A's lol ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah i did hahahaha. Funny part was i didn't even get interviewed... at all :frown:

Sack that tbh with ye ross mate. I think i would just do another degree then go in. Hopefully even 2A at adv higher is enough!!!
Yeah i did hahahaha. Funny part was i didn't even get interviewed... at all :frown:

Sack that tbh with ye ross mate. I think i would just do another degree then go in. Hopefully even 2A at adv higher is enough!!!

Unbelievable Jeff! Well good luck man. What do you plan on doing in your gap year ?
Unbelievable Jeff! Well good luck man. What do you plan on doing in your gap year ?

Just working tbh. Maybe 2 jobs - 1 day 1 night? What ye think of that?

Other than that I think I plan to go to Old Trafford in Manchester quite a lot. Good weekend out with my mates i guess!

Wbu? Hows it going pal?
can anyone explain in simple terms how to determine whether a function is odd, even or neither?
Just working tbh. Maybe 2 jobs - 1 day 1 night? What ye think of that?

Other than that I think I plan to go to Old Trafford in Manchester quite a lot. Good weekend out with my mates i guess!

Wbu? Hows it going pal?

Might go to Spain a haven't decided yet. Tbh am just really looking forward to leaving school.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm stuck on question 2 if anyone can help.

I am also confused on question 3. I know how to work out the argument but what to do when it's negative like the answer I got? Explain please!

IMG_2207.jpg
I'm stuck on question 2 if anyone can help.

I am also confused on question 3. I know how to work out the argument but what to do when it's negative like the answer I got? Explain please!

IMG_2207.jpg

For 2 expand the brackets and then set the real part equal to one and then the imaginary part equal to 8 and then put them into simultaneous equations then you can work out a and b from there.

For 3 the argument should work out to be 67.3 degrees, it's no negative and if it was negative you would just put it in anyway. This happens quite often when the angle is below the x-axis because the imaginary y value is negative.

Posted from TSR Mobile
IMG_2182.jpg

Please help.

No idea how to integrate with the powers????? Pls explain in easy language pls

It's both questions 1(g) and (h)

Since 3=eln33 = e^{\ln 3}, we have 3x=(eln3)x=exln33^x = \left(e^{\ln 3}\right)^x = e^{x\ln 3}

Hence

3xdx=exln3dx=exln3ln3+C\displaystyle\int 3^x dx = \int e^{x\ln 3} dx = \frac{e^{x\ln 3}}{\ln 3} + C
Original post by Nuba123
can anyone explain in simple terms how to determine whether a function is odd, even or neither?

Basically...

When f(-x)= -f(x) the function is odd
When f(-x)= +f(x) the function is even

What that means is you substitute negative x into the function you're given into wherever you see x. You sort the function, then using what I said above you should be able to see quite clearly whether it's odd or even.

Hope that helps unless u have a specific question?
For 2 expand the brackets and then set the real part equal to one and then the imaginary part equal to 8 and then put them into simultaneous equations then you can work out a and b from there.

For 3 the argument should work out to be 67.3 degrees, it's no negative and if it was negative you would just put it in anyway. This happens quite often when the angle is below the x-axis because the imaginary y value is negative.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers bro,

Should've mentioned that it was actually question 4 not 3, but what you said helped to get the answer anyway!

The only problem with question 2 is when I did multiply the brackets I got ab=2 and 2a-3b=1 and I thought simultaneous equations but how tf do I put that simultaneously?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 198
Cheers bro,

Should've mentioned that it was actually question 4 not 3, but what you said helped to get the answer anyway!

The only problem with question 2 is when I did multiply the brackets I got ab=2 and 2a-3b=1 and I thought simultaneous equations but how tf do I put that simultaneously?

Use a=2/b and sub it back into the original and you should get a=2 b=1 if I did it correctly
Original post by xdabex
Use a=2/b and sub it back into the original and you should get a=2 b=1 if I did it correctly

Would you mind posting some working please...?

Sorry but I tried that and got b=-4/3 OR b=1 because of a quadratic, ffs!

Help me pls

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending