The Student Room Group

CfE Advanced Higher Mathematics 2016/2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nuba123
i think last years paper wasnt bad but id probably have gotten a B at best (if i was lucky) considering it was 73% for an A

*slaps you across the face, HAVE FAITH!!! :wink:
Original post by gapyearlads
Complex numbers is really long! I suggest you do that one next, then vectors!!

I'm having my own dilemma. Left it late so instead of doing past papers, just doing the ones I think I should work on hhahhahahah

I don't recommend doing past papers the night before mate. You'll come across like 8 markers you won't know how to start and you'll freak out. Just go over notes is my advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 382
Does anyone know in what questions you get penalised for not using the | | symbol because in some questions it says you dont need them but in others you get marks taken off?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xdabex
Does anyone know in what questions you get penalised for not using the | | symbol because in some questions it says you dont need them but in others you get marks taken off?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm a bit confused with that as well. A just always put them in to be safe.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 384
Im going to sleep rn.. ;-; im so scared
Original post by xdabex

Posted from TSR Mobile

In general, the modulus symbol isn't needed if the term inside it is always positive.

For example, say you've got the integeral of 2x/(x^2 + 2). When you integrate this, you get ln(|x^2 + 2|). But, in the real numbers, this will always be positive - it can't be negative. So there's no need for the modulus symbol here.

Also, keep in mind the upper and lower limits of the integral. For example, the integral between 3 and 4 of 2x/(x^2 - 5) = ln(|x^2-5|). But x^2 - 5 >= 0 where x >= sqrt(5). And all of the values between 3 and 4 (including 3 and 4) meet this condition, so you don't need the modulus symbol. But if it were between 2 and 4, you would, because 2^2 - 5 = -1.

Just to be safe, normally including them is your best bet if you're not clear on when it's better to remove them.
Complex numbers is really long! I suggest you do that one next, then vectors!!

I'm having my own dilemma. Left it late so instead of doing past papers, just doing the ones I think I should work on hhahhahahah

basically i dont understand matrices (rotation/transformation stuff) so i dont see the point in spending loads of time on it so im starting complex numbers now :frown:
*slaps you across the face, HAVE FAITH!!! :wink:

ow
Original post by Nuba123
basically i dont understand matrices (rotation/transformation stuff) so i dont see the point in spending loads of time on it so im starting complex numbers now :frown:

Transformations is the one thing I'm going over in matrices because I dropped like 5 marks easy on that in my prelim!
Original post by RossB1702
I don't recommend doing past papers the night before mate. You'll come across like 8 markers you won't know how to start and you'll freak out. Just go over notes is my advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what I normally do but I haven't done ANY.

So I'm blitzing through them now! Still got about 9 to go hahahahaha
Original post by TheRedGoldfish
How similar is the old Advanced Higher (...-2015) to the CfE (2016-)? I am going through past papers but I am unsure of what is different.

We don't do proving convergent/divergent series, apparently don't need to geometrically show roots of unity, iterative schemes aren't in it now, it seems largely the same
Anyone know if we should know fundamental theorem of algebra and prime factorisation etc because it's in the textbook and course specification but never got taught it ?
Can anyone explain to me how my teacher goes from the first line to the next one.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1493915237.076174.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Who else has chemistry on Monday rip
Original post by RossB1702
Can anyone explain to me how my teacher goes from the first line to the next one.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1493915237.076174.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Combine fractions and take (2k-1) on the numerator as common factor which then cancels with (2k-1) in denominator
Original post by Mystery.
Anyone know if we should know fundamental theorem of algebra and prime factorisation etc because it's in the textbook and course specification but never got taught it ?

Yeah, I think you really need to know that! I might be confused with something else but that comes up in most past papers??
Who else has chemistry on Monday rip

Preach

You should know them, but they're usually examined as part of other things:

* Fundamental Thereom of Algebra: A polynomial of degree n has n roots (including complex numbers). Basically it means when you're finding the roots of a polynomial you know how many roots there'll be, keeping in mind that, if a number is a root, then its conjugate is also a root (e.g 1-2i is the conjugate of 1+2i, and vice versa).
* fundamental thereom of prime factorisation: Basically it means that every integer greater than one is either prime, or the product of primes, and that each number has a unique prime factorisation. I think the closest thing I've seen to using it is proving things like "if m^2 is divisible by 5 then m is divisible by 5", but these can be done by other methods like via contrapositive.
Transformations is the one thing I'm going over in matrices because I dropped like 5 marks easy on that in my prelim!

dont know if i can do it anymore!!
Best of luck to everyone tomorrow lmao why were we stupid enough to take advanced maths...
Yeah, I think you really need to know that! I might be confused with something else but that comes up in most past papers??

Preach

No sorry I meant fundamental theorem of Arithmetic not Algebra hahah

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending