The Student Room Group

CfE Advanced Higher Mathematics 2016/2017

Scroll to see replies

TheRedGoldfish
Q16

So TheRedGoldfish drew my attention to Q16, which I haven't started doing yet. But am I just being dumb or isn't it the case that since the shaded area is a quarter of an ellipse, the volume of revolution around either the y or x axis would be exactly half of the same ellipsoid centered at the origin, and so it shouldn't matter anyway whether you revolve around the x or y axis since you'll end up with the same volume?
Original post by ukdragon37
So TheRedGoldfish drew my attention to Q16, which I haven't started doing yet. But am I just being dumb or isn't it the case that since the shaded area is a quarter of an ellipse, the volume of revolution around either the y or x axis would be exactly half of the same ellipsoid centered at the origin, and so it shouldn't matter anyway whether you revolve around the x or y axis since you'll end up with the same volume?

yes i totally knew that then I used y^2
[QUOTE="ukdragon37;71297478"]So TheRedGoldfish drew my attention to Q16, which I haven't started doing yet. But am I just being dumb or isn't it the case that since the shaded area is a quarter of an ellipse, the volume of revolution around either the y or x axis would be exactly half of the same ellipsoid centered at the origin, and so it shouldn't matter anyway whether you revolve around the x or y axis since you'll end up with the same volume?[/QUOTE

Original post by ferm4t

Haha, you're going to just love my method then! Not my finest hour, I have to admit.
Original post by ferm4t

Right, but, there's a potentially nasty problem with that. Since you didn't do it the way the question prescribed, if the examiners are feeling unkind they can either rule that as not following instructions (e.g. doing a "hence..." question using an "otherwise" method), or it is "easing the question".
Reply 584
i wish adv high maths paper got leaked.. free resit
Right, but, there's a potentially nasty problem with that. Since you didn't do it the way the question prescribed, if the examiners are feeling unkind they can either rule that as not following instructions (e.g. doing a "hence..." question using an "otherwise" method), or it is "easing the question".

I suppose yes, hopefully I can still pick up 2/3 out of 5
Original post by TheRedGoldfish

Haha, you're going to just love my method then! Not my finest hour, I have to admit.

See my comment above speculating that you might still yet be penalised from using the "wrong" method. I don't think you ought to be penalised with a cleverer, easier, but nevertheless well-justified method that gives you the right answer just because it's not how the question said you should do it.
See my comment above speculating that you might still yet be penalised from using the "wrong" method. I don't think you ought to be penalised with a cleverer, easier, but nevertheless well-justified method that gives you the right answer just because it's not how the question said you should do it.

I used pi y^2 rather than pi x^2 for that question but got a different answer to the others I think (8pi units cubed)

Would I have lost all 5 marks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Original post by onlyvips
I used pi y^2 rather than pi x^2 for that question but got a different answer to the others I think (8pi units cubed)

Would I have lost all 5 marks?

I'm not actually sure, really. I might speculate but I don't know how they will decide at all. If it was up to me then I'd say you might have made a mistake somewhere but used a valid method, so you should be allowed partial credit.
I'm not actually sure, really. I might speculate but I don't know how they will decide at all. If it was up to me then I'd say you might have made a mistake somewhere but used a valid method, so you should be allowed partial credit.

Oh okay understood

So for using pi y^2 were we meant to alter the limits
Or were we to use the limits given in the function
(I know it's a big ask, but would you be able to give a solution for the question using the pi y^2 method?) it would be greatly appreciated 😊

Brilliant mate ahahahahah.

I genuinely think that too. How tf can an exam board make such a mess? They say they have multiple people who check the papers and make sure it's ok difficulty wise... What sort of jackass are they hiring?
Mate you are too good ahahaahaahha

Original post by Nuba123
LMAOOOO
legit some helicopter parents man, my parents are so chill bless em

maybe it works for some but not me

no matter what the outcome on results day, we all still chill af

I can't study with my parents in my room, let alone that much involvement!

I think it will be like 68% for an A. I'm a bit chill now after taking the day off. Just to get on with the next one.
Original post by xdabex
I called my parents right after the exam and I was like "dad I got less than 10% in my maths exan" my dad was silent and hung up the phone and he still wont talk to me now

Posted from TSR Mobile

AHhhahahahahahhahahhaha i feel for you bro.

You've got some good banter by the sounds of it, charm your dad with that!
My teacher was one of those legends that just makes you laugh your head off the whole lesson.

He wasn't great at teaching, but he was good at explaining if it makes sense. Like he didn't teach us some parts (never taught the types of questions in 10 or the graphs or the last one but i don't think anyone in Scotland rn got the last one)!.

But if you asked him a question he would explain it well enough!
Yeah reading the thread, I know people are pissed but most of us have plenty more exams to go!

Everyone is upset at first, but every year heaps of people do better than expected and I am positive the SQA will take into account if that many people struggled.

But petitions and emails? Come on... It's quite funny now but also depressing to see that people will try and complain their way to success.

Now is the time to do well in the rest of your exams! :smile:
Reply 594
in my exam hall we only had like 5 adv higher people and we were taking turns to go to the toilet..

I did the first 2 questions and then I looked around and this chinese girl was having a panic attack so they took her away and this other chinese guy doing adv higher in 5th year got caught because he wrote an auxilliary equation on his hand,

I felt sorry for the chinese girl because its kind of obvious we had a really bad teacher but me and my friend couldnt stop laughing throughout the whole exam.
I might have failed but this was one memorable exam that I will always remember

Posted from TSR Mobile
i think he does have the paper and he's just not allowed to say
Yes in fact. This year the SQA said teachers are not allowed to see the paper until 24 hours after the exam, pretty stupid considering everyone sat the exam at the same time but such is the SQA
http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/15260396.Teachers_blocked_from_immediate_access_to_exam_papers_amidst_social_media_row/
Exactly my thinking.

That mess with the higher paper a few years back should've scared the living crap out of them. Make the paper similar to past papers.

Like you can't mess with people's future. It will get better in like 4 years where the level is consistent.

Hahahahaha smoke weed everyday!
Yh it was an exaggeration.

I think 2 people got it in my exam room but they were two people who needed to get into oxbridge for their offers! As you can imagine that for them means around 90%, not 70%!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending