The Student Room Group

PYA5 - Please Help........

Everyone is saying how well that exam went and I'm really scared now because I thought it was horrible.

I answered on OCD and i could talk about genetics (and studies, with evaluation about shared enviroment) also about psychodynamic view e.g. fixated at anal stage (said it was hard to test empirically for evaluation). However I don't know if this is in anywhere near as much detail as is required. I also put that adoption studies have been done for OCD...eek.....

Then I answered on Socially Sensitive Research and I made a few good A01 points but i'm not sure I had any evaluation and I still missed out some A01 stuff so the most I could probably get out of 30 would be 10 marks.

The perspectives one was awful, I did procrastination with a conformist and social learning approach....I said I would do interviews to see if people didn't revise because their friends didn't......

My question is for anyone who has got this far (and thanks!) is do you think I could have got an E? (I think that's all i needed on this paper), it's just I don't know how the marks for the essays go in this paper, do you need a lot of detail?
Waster
Everyone is saying how well that exam went and I'm really scared now because I thought it was horrible.

I answered on OCD and i could talk about genetics (and studies, with evaluation about shared enviroment) also about psychodynamic view e.g. fixated at anal stage (said it was hard to test empirically for evaluation). However I don't know if this is in anywhere near as much detail as is required. I also put that adoption studies have been done for OCD...eek.....

Then I answered on Socially Sensitive Research and I made a few good A01 points but i'm not sure I had any evaluation and I still missed out some A01 stuff so the most I could probably get out of 30 would be 10 marks.

The perspectives one was awful, I did procrastination with a conformist and social learning approach....I said I would do interviews to see if people didn't revise because their friends didn't......

My question is for anyone who has got this far (and thanks!) is do you think I could have got an E? (I think that's all i needed on this paper), it's just I don't know how the marks for the essays go in this paper, do you need a lot of detail?

Heya, firstly, im sure it didnt go as badly as you felt it did- personally, if i come out of an exam feeling ive done really well or really badly its usually the exact opposite lol. Also, dont listne what other people have said cos theyve most likely answered different questions/ answered a diff combo. So yeah, you'll be fine if you only needed an E- to get that you have to get (i might be wrong) 9 marks out of 30 for each essay roughly. So thats 27/90? Your first question sounds fine but i didnt study OCD so not sure on that.. socially sensitive, you probably put in more a02 and synoptic than you realise jsut by referring to AS stuff. And approaches has always been a nasty one so dont worry!! Dont think about it till august :smile:
Reply 2
Cool so 9/30 is alright for an E? That makes things a little better, I just have no idea as to how many marks you would get for what!
Thanks
Reply 3
anyone know?
Reply 4
Hey, don't worry, I completely crapped that exam up as well. And I know what you mean - everyone else is saying that it went really well, which is not the best confidence booster :s-smilie:

Spent waaaay too long on debates, because I realised I hadn't put any AO2 stuff in, so had to rush it. Then my Approaches question was the biggest load of crap I've ever written. It was truly terrible. I'll be lucky if I get a quarter of the marks for it; in fact I don't think I have a chance of it.

As for your thing, I think it sounds fine, I didn't study OCD or issues, but your approaches questions sounds pretty plausible. Basically, as long as it's not completely wacky you'll get some marks for it. What have you got in your AS and A2 so far? And what do you want to get overall?
Reply 5
Okay so glad this thread exists, was gonna make my own one otherwise. Basically, not being big-headed but my normal/average grade in Psych. is an A and so it was gonna be my only easy A out of my A2s! Tragically-yes really-it probably wont be *weeps* because I MESSED up that paper AND-you wont believe this- I thought we were only doing 2 sections and only found out there was another section to revise for when my friend texted me ON THE MORNING OF THE EXAM?! So erm, needless to say I flopped that one rather bad! It was the issues q- if anyone did issues, pleaaaaasseeee help me out here cuz I am quite simply s****ing myself! I revised gender and culture bias on the train but didnt pay much attention to socially sensitive research (!) so I put down stuff like deception/informed consent/debriefing/harm to participants and also gave Milgram's study as an example for some reason(desperation I guess) saying how he's been criticised for causing great psych. harm to his p's and then saying his argument in defense. No idea why exactly I did that but as Im sure you all know, desperate times call for desperate measures. Also, the approaches q(didnt really revise it), ermm....I did the hoarding one and wrote about behavioural- operant cond- that the person had memories associated with those possessions and that provided positive reinforecement hence them not wanting to give them away(??)-and psychodynamic - that the person was fixated at the anally retentive stage hence their stingy attitude, i.e. not giving away their old possessions.
Reply 6
Waster
Cool so 9/30 is alright for an E? That makes things a little better, I just have no idea as to how many marks you would get for what!
Thanks

The minimum raw mark boundary for an E is 30/94, so you would have needed at least 10 marks in each section.
Reply 7
i also did psychodynamic and behavioural for hoarding, but my parst c and d were rubbish. ssr was a toughie cos there really isnt that much to write! ocd was a good one though, spend around 50 mins doing that one as i knew that would be the only question i would pick up marks on. i really need an A in this subject.... did pya4 in jan and got a C so retook it. and then cwork, apparently an A, but thats what our teacher said to everyone last year and quite a few came out with Cs and Ds.... thankgod for 290 ums from AS!!
Reply 8
I've had - BCD (for AS) and an A for my A2 coursework.

I need a C to get to uni, I reckon I need a B/C on Unit 4 (which i could have got) and a U/E on this exam (soo hope I managed it).
Reply 9
Could someone pleaaaseee help me out with my socially sensitive research stuff- like tell me if it was even worth putting that stuff down or not- Ive written what I put down for it in my last post...
*Kisses teeth* Stuuuupid warning level thingy's still there.... wonder when it goes...its so annoying, you cant know every single bloody rule in the book now can you (?!) >=o
Reply 11
That post made me laugh^ :biggrin:
Teehee :redface:

Latest