The Student Room Group
depends on what subject youre applying for.
Reply 2
Don't do business A2 over your degree, business as a subject is crap and pointless - this comes from a predicted A student who thinks she completely messed up her last business A2 exam yesterday.
Reply 3
I am just finishing my 4th year at college, well a different college I moved to after 2 years.

I did my A levels at one school and failed my A2s due to family issues so I decided to have a fresh start and started again from scratch at another college.

When I had my university interview they asked me to explain why I had started again and I explained but they didnt seem to mind at all infact I think they were glad I was honest about why I had failed.
Unless you're applying to a top uni or for a very competitive course like medicine or law, most unis won't mind you doing an extra year as long as you get the grades they want at the end of it.
Reply 5
Hev456
Don't do business A2 over your degree, business as a subject is crap and pointless

why is it?
Reply 6
menu
why is it?

It isn't
Reply 7
i heard it was blacklisted by certain universities... is it as lowly regarded as A levels such as media studies?
Reply 8
No and the only 2 universities it is blacklisted at is LSE and Cambridge and you probably wouldn't be applying to those as they probably won't like the 3 years to do A levels and KCL for Law have a policy of not accepting 3 years for A levels.

What degree and unis are you interested in?
Reply 9
menu
why is it?

Because i'm bitter about messing up my business exam yesterday, i didn't really mean it. Although, i wouldn't pick business if i could pick my a-levels again.
you could so A2 business simultaneously, whilst at Uni take an evenng class at a college next to ur uni - or self teach it.
Reply 11
I'm in the same situation. In my first year of college I did Biology, Chemistry, English Literature, French and Business Studies. Unfortunately I didnt realise that Sciences really aren't my fortes so I ended up lowering my other grades because I was struggling with the sciences.

In my second year (which I've just finished) I did English Literature and French to A2 and picked up English Language AS. However, my French at AS was a D but my french drastically improved in the 2nd year so I retook the AS units.

In my third year I will be continuing English Lang to A2 and picking up History AS. Depending on my French results I may redo the A2 year for that again.

What do you guys think about my chances with unis?

I hope to do English Literature or French.

Predicted grades are:
English Lit - A
English Lang (AS) - A
French - No idea lol
And I already have a whole Business A Level at a B grade as I took it a year early.
Also a possible English AEA depending on the results.

Sorry its really confusing!
BabsyBaker
I'm in the same situation. In my first year of college I did Biology, Chemistry, English Literature, French and Business Studies. Unfortunately I didnt realise that Sciences really aren't my fortes so I ended up lowering my other grades because I was struggling with the sciences.

In my second year (which I've just finished) I did English Literature and French to A2 and picked up English Language AS. However, my French at AS was a D but my french drastically improved in the 2nd year so I retook the AS units.

In my third year I will be continuing English Lang to A2 and picking up History AS. Depending on my French results I may redo the A2 year for that again.

What do you guys think about my chances with unis?

I hope to do English Literature or French.

Predicted grades are:
English Lit - A
English Lang (AS) - A
French - No idea lol
And I already have a whole Business A Level at a B grade as I took it a year early.
Also a possible English AEA depending on the results.

Sorry its really confusing!

Might be a problem for top unis if you go for English lit because it's competitive, but you should be fine with other unis or for French. If possible, explain the extra year in your personal statement and turn it into a positive. In terms of grades, if you get your predicted As in English lit and lang and at least Bs in French and history, that should be good enough for most unis. If you're worried, email some unis and ask about their policies on doing A-levels in 3 years instead of 2.
Reply 13
I did 3 years. I did a year at school in 6th form and took 4 AS Levels, then I left for personal reasons and started again at college. I've now just i finished my A Levels there. It didn't give me any problems! I got offers from all the unis I applied for, and with predicted grades BBC so it wasn't like I was predicted four A's or anything!!

I did try to talk about how it was a positive thing in my personal statement though. Like how the fact I'd done 4 AS Levels at school and 3 at college gave me experience of a lot of subjects, which helped me to realise what I wanted to do at uni. And leaving school allowed me to take English Language which I've always been interested in (and am gonna do at uni).

So no, I haven't found it to be a problem! You can really make a positive thing out of it in your personal statement.. I know it's a bit different as you just want to finish one subject to A2, but it could show how dedicated you are to it, and how willing you are to get the extra A Level to help you get into uni =)
Reply 14
I didn't mention the fact that I'd done a third year at all in my personal statement, I declined my results after my first year so the only way they'd have noticed is when they looked at the dates I'd attended school/college. Still got 6/6 offers.
Reply 15
Very interesting. I've actually just written my personal statement and have mentioned the third year and have turned it round into a positive. So fingers crossed!
Reply 16
Whoever tells you that doing an extra year impedes you from applying to Cambridge clearly knows little about the application process.
Doing an extra year for personal reasons should not stop you from aiming high.
Whoever pointed this out in this thread please explain... grrr
Reply 17
chrisjorg
Whoever tells you that doing an extra year impedes you from applying to Cambridge clearly knows little about the application process.
Doing an extra year for personal reasons should not stop you from aiming high.
Whoever pointed this out in this thread please explain... grrr

Yeah. I'm applying to Cambridge. Everyone has been really really negative towards this at my college etc. So I just think sod 'em. There's no harm in trying and if I don't get anywhere then its not the end of my life.
Reply 18
I would certainly consider doing an extra year if my A-Level grades this summer were not at the required level in order to progress on to my degree course, because if I didn't achieve the grades in the first instance, I don't think I'll have anything to loose my having a second attempt.

Good luck with your decision

Latest

Trending

Trending