The Student Room Group

What A Level choices are the best to take if you want to do go into journalism?

Im currently in year 10 but already considering choices for a levels.
I know its early to start considering but i'd rather start thinking about what I want to take now rather than at the last minute. I need to make the right choices and I need to take a levels which will help me with journalism.

I thought:

English Literature
Drama
Sociology
so far..
But not sure! :confused:
Reply 1
I too i'm considering a career in journalism and am picking my A Level Subjects which are most likely going to be English Literature, Religious Studies, Sociology and History! So i think that English Lit and Sociology are ideal for journalism as they promote writing skills, also Drama complements English Lit. You may also want to consider another literary subject such as History or Religion to enhance your writing ability! :smile:
Reply 2
K!&R@N
I too i'm considering a career in journalism and am picking my A Level Subjects which are most likely going to be English Literature, Religious Studies, Sociology and History! So i think that English Lit and Sociology are ideal for journalism as they promote writing skills, also Drama complements English Lit. You may also want to consider another literary subject such as History or Religion to enhance your writing ability! :smile:

I was thinking history might be a good subject to take as I know that involes a lot of writing and is something which will benefit me if I want to go into journalism so I could consider that.

Thanks for the advice! :smile:
Politics, English and History would be good
Reply 4
Whaaaaaaaaaaat I didn't know what A Levels I wanted to take until I actually started.

English Lit. That's all you need. The other ones don't matter.

My A Levels totally don't compliment each other.
Reply 5
It doesn't matter what A Levels you do, I doubt there's no subject requirements for media studies at university..
But the subjects I sugested are regarded as good subjects, diverse if you do change your mind and give you a strong grounding for journalism!
Anwyay a degree in media studies and a degree in journalism I'd imagine are very different. Work experience is probabaly far more important than subjects ro degree choice! My dad works for the BBC and says he wouldn't employ anyone with such a vocational degree choice.
Reply 8
English Literature, History, Politics, English Language
I'd say any of these:
English Langauge
English Literature
History
Sociology
Communication Studies
Media Studies

Latest