The Student Room Group

BM5 Southampton Medical Applicants 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LightAtTheEnd
Good Luck and there is a chance I might see you there :colondollar:

Congratulations to you too. Hope to see you. I'm looking forward to talk to other applicants before the interview because that really helps me calm my nerves.
Would you guys mind sharing your UKCAT scores?

Oh, mine isn't one of those ridiculously high ones haha. It's 703. But I got A*A*AA for A levels so that helped I guess. I'm on gap year :biggrin:
Original post by k_popper
Congratulations to you too. Hope to see you. I'm looking forward to talk to other applicants before the interview because that really helps me calm my nerves.

Oh, mine isn't one of those ridiculously high ones haha. It's 703. But I got A*A*AA for A levels so that helped I guess. I'm on gap year :biggrin:

Yes that is ridiculously high.

Your A levels did not help. Interviews are UKCAT only. :yes:.
Original post by drgoundry
do you know if they have given out all the interviews yet?
Thanks

They will keep offering interviews until 2 weeks before the last one.
Original post by Neostigmine
Yes that is ridiculously high.

Your A levels did not help. Interviews are UKCAT only. :yes:.

Ahhh thank you. My UKCAT score last year was almost a 100 less than this year's. It's a relief.

I have the same UKCAT score haha! A-levels don't determine whether you get an interview and I'm still a school leaver. Good luck with your interview and who knows if we both get offers I might see you at SOTON :colondollar:
Reply 385
Ahhh thank you. My UKCAT score last year was almost a 100 less than this year's. It's a relief.

Ahahah I too had a cat score of 703 and am on a gap year :biggrin:
Reply 386
Would you guys mind sharing your UKCAT scores?

703, same as you
Reply 387
Nice! I hope to see you there good luck for your interview :smile:

Here are my times
Registration => 13:10
Group Task => 13:25
Interview => 14:10

Good luck to you too, my registration is just a little bit after yours so I may see you :smile:
Interview for 15th Feb, came through at 12:40 today!
Reply 389
Original post by callumdarby

Congratulations! What's your UKCAT if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by oey99
Congratulations! What's your UKCAT if you don't mind me asking?

thank you :smile: 676, 2030 overall
is it mmi? bc its only 20 mins (excl. group task) ????
Original post by agahaga

Southampton is a panel interview (I believe there are 2 people in the panel but check with @Neostigmine as she is a current student and knows way more) and a group task discussion.
Original post by callumdarby

are you a school leaver or an international applicant? :smile:
Original post by htrowslec
are you a school leaver or an international applicant? :smile:

School leaver :smile:
Original post by Neostigmine
The group task is a discussion and then at the end you're asked to reflect on how it went. You're given time to think about the subject before you start and it is something that is not likely to require any previous knowledge on the subject. it's about presenting your ideas and working with your group. It's nothing to be scared of and people seem to enjoy it!

As part of year 3 you do a project and a "dissertation" for a BMedSci. If you intercalate you can take an extra year and get an MMedSci instead. You can also intercalate at another uni (so leave Soton for a year) and do a BSc.

Not quite.
We ALL get a BMedSci in third year. It's part of the standard programme.

If you want a BSc or an MMedSci you need to intercalate aka take a year out. You can do this at Soton and get an MMedSci or go elsewhere and get the BSc.

Is the group task involves discussion about any topic or only about ethical scenarios ?
Original post by agahaga

Not MMI. Panel and group interview. MMIs suck.

Original post by medictsr
Is the group task involves discussion about any topic or only about ethical scenarios ?

Lots of people ask about ethical scenarios and I have never worked out why!

It can be anything but it's less likely to be "discuss which flavour of jam is best" than something with some sort of health/medical/sociological/psychological undertone but you never know! There have been all sorts over the last few years.

You can't study for it and you get time to prepare on the day.
My friend got 2020 in his UKCAT, I got 2000 do you think there's still a chance mine will come through? His is the 9th February and the only other date for BM5 applicants is on the 13th so I'm nervous 2000 won't be enough to make it into the last batch of interviewees.
Original post by hannahluntana
My friend got 2020 in his UKCAT, I got 2000 do you think there's still a chance mine will come through? His is the 9th February and the only other date for BM5 applicants is on the 13th so I'm nervous 2000 won't be enough to make it into the last batch of interviewees.

2020 isn't much higher than 2000. Especially you consider that his average score is less than 10 points above your average score. Last year the lowest avg score interviewed for a school leaver was 640 for the BM5 course. You hold an average score of 667 (to nearest number) so I'd say you are still in this with a good chance!
Original post by hannahluntana

You won't know until you hear. You could have got 2019 and you still wouldn't know! Don't try to work it out. Focus on becoming someone they can't say no to if you do get an interview, rather than spending your time worrying. It sucks. I know. I've been there.

Twice.

Try to focus on other things and just wait and see what happens. :yes:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending