The Student Room Group

Badminton

Hey Guys,

If, like me, you enjoy playing badminton...then here is your chance to spread tips on playing or just general facts and stuff!

Also, I recommend playing with a Yehlex or Yonex Racket. Yonex's Nanospeed Series are my personal favourites! What do you think?

Peace,
:suitd: Dan :suitd:

:tsr2:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hi. i wanna start playing badminton. any advice?
Reply 2
wow...taken this long to get a reply lol!

Well, it depends on what your game is like, if you're like me and play a fast, aggressive game then get a really light racket for matches and a really heavy one for training.

The reason is because you can get a lot more power after playing with a heavy racket (often wooden in my case!!!) when you revert back to your lighter one.

Whats your favourite style of game? Doubles, mixed doubles or singles?
kind of same thing i do, except with tennis. I deliberately do some free weights before i play competitively, then the racket feels extremely light later that day and i can put down bombs when serving, or at least try to! :biggrin:
I've been playing just a few weeks and have really never played the game before (beside the odd, short-lasting PE lesson). I use a Carlton Powerblade Lite. Just dont go for a heavy 95g+ racket because you really do notice the difference. Anyway, at this point as a beginner, fitness is key rather than the racket type. My backhand really needs work, tips?
Dan Foster
wow...taken this long to get a reply lol!

Too many people like tennis. Though I prefer a different racket sport. :wink:
I'd kick everyones ****ing arse in here.
Reply 7
white_haired_wizard
I'd kick everyones ****ing arse in here.

Really? I don't think so somehow! :smile:
What racket do you use? Do you play for a team or, like me, do you play for yourself?
Reply 8
silent ninja
I've been playing just a few weeks and have really never played the game before (beside the odd, short-lasting PE lesson). I use a Carlton Powerblade Lite. Just dont go for a heavy 95g+ racket because you really do notice the difference. Anyway, at this point as a beginner, fitness is key rather than the racket type. My backhand really needs work, tips?

Hold your racket with your thumb resting vertically up the grip...adds a bit of strength to it. Just get an able player to play lots of different shots onto your back hand side and keep working at it..you'll crack it in no time!

Also, if you're faced with a deep, high shot to your backhand side...I tend to move my feet quickly to get into a forehand playing position where I have a greater array of shots...this really helps if you're backhand is weaker than your forehand!
Racket doesnt make a difference to me, ive got a Carlton, does the job. To many people play Badminton like tennis using their arm rather then wrist. Regarding level i play for my local club and used to for my Uni but i stopped cos 3 trainin sessions a week was taking its toll, and badders isnt the most important thing in my life.
Good advice there Dan and Jack.
Just played couple days ago, the thumb thingy definitely helps. High backhand is always troubling though, i run round most of them otherwise i just end up flicking it stupidly high with little accuracy.

Anyway, footwork and fitness need serious work.
ok i'll elaborate for you. I'll kick all yal asses in singles, doubles on t'otherhand is my 'weakness'. Quickness around court, anticipation, fitness, shot-making, second to ****ing none and no-one, brothers :wink:
Reply 12
wow amazing i'm glad i found this thread. badminton rocks, probably the only game i'm good at:redface: and nobody can beat my speed muaha *evils*

and yup, personally i hate backhand myself; just use it when you can't do anything else but don't consider it as an 'option'.
white_haired_wizard
ok i'll elaborate for you. I'll kick all yal asses in singles, doubles on t'otherhand is my 'weakness'. Quickness around court, anticipation, fitness, shot-making, second to ****ing none and no-one, brothers :wink:

Easy to say that when you're snug at your computer! And you're second to no-one? What's your national ranking at the minute!?
jack_sparrow
Easy to say that when you're snug at your computer! And you're second to no-one? What's your national ranking at the minute!?

can i get back to you on that one? :wink:

:biggrin:

I'm confident to say i'm a very good singles player, extremely quick, versatile, fitness is excellent et cetera....

:cool:
Reply 15
I'm confident to say i'm a very good singles player, extremely quick, versatile, fitness is excellent et cetera....

*blows raspberries*

although i've always wanted to try tennis but my hand is prone to breaking when handling heavy things:frown:
Chezua
*blows raspberries*

although i've always wanted to try tennis but my hand is prone to breaking when handling heavy things:frown:

i play both, or at least did do, approx 2-3 months ago. As its tennis season i dropped the badminton for a short while. The danger is of overdoing things, injuries can result etc.
Reply 17
how can overdo badminton? the racket is so light and it's a matter of speed and how you hit the shuttle back to your opponent and make him run around for abit. no?
Chezua
how can overdo badminton? the racket is so light and it's a matter of speed and how you hit the shuttle back to your opponent and make him run around for abit. no?

the danger is of playing too much sport, changing from badminton to tennis and vice-versa. It can take its toll. I know of someone who has ****ed up his shoulder from playing too much sport, and the change from one type of sport and grips to another....can be with risks to health.
Reply 19
i thought the more sports you do, the better. well oh well, i always stick to badminton at the end of the day.

Quick Reply

Latest