The Student Room Group

Potential extra qualifications?

I've recently just finished me GCSEs and I'm very likely to be continuing into A-levels. I was just wondering whether there was any additional qualifications or volunteering schemes I could participate in over summer, to continue to challenge my brain and also gain an additional qualification (potentially increasing my UCAS points)?
Original post by TunjiSpringer
I've recently just finished me GCSEs and I'm very likely to be continuing into A-levels. I was just wondering whether there was any additional qualifications or volunteering schemes I could participate in over summer, to continue to challenge my brain and also gain an additional qualification (potentially increasing my UCAS points)?

There's not many things you can do over the summer to increase your UCAS tariff points - and those that you can do are unlikely to have a big impact on your university entry (eg you could work towards a musical instrument grade but most universities wont count these towards entry for a non music degree).

DO you have any ideas what you'd like to study at university? Pursuing your genuine academic interests in your own time is generally what most universities are looking for. It shows enthusiasm for the subject and self motivation to study - both of which are vital to get through 3+ degrees studying a subject.
There are loads of things you could productively do, but won't lead to any extra points. Volunteering with St John Ambulance, Red Cross, Scouts/Guides, working in a charity shop, get work experience, get the NPLQ, learn a language, learn an instrument, take up a new sport, do ECDL, study a MOOC, read around the subjects you like, learn to code... The list is endless and you'll get some great skills which could help beyond A-levels. Good luck and have fun!

Quick Reply

Latest