The Student Room Group

A level help/advice

I'm thinking of studying English lit, History, RE (ethics) and Sociology at a level. If anyone studies English Lit or History, can I please have some advice? Do you enjoy it? Anything you didn't you expect? Is it a good idea to do both at a level or is it too intense?. Thanks!
Hey there, I'm currently in Year 12 and doing A Level Sociology (AQA), English Language (AQA), English Literature (Edexel) and AS Religious Studies: Philosophy and Ethics (as an AS and now an A2). For the most part, they honestly do link really well together. Concepts and understanding of society are introduced in sociology and can link well with interpreting contextual relevance in poetry and prose in English Lit, and different philosophical perspectives in RS was really helpful when analysing social norms as well as characters. In short, it's great because all these subjects overlap so that's a really great bonus when it comes to revision!

I don't do A-Level History, but I have heard from my friends that do take this subject (alongside English Lit or Sociology or Politics) that it seems to have much more of a workload than their other subjects. If you're prepared for dozens of passages of extra reading and lots of practise essays then go for it! As long as you keep on board with the work set and don't get behind - then you'll be fine!
Reply 2
Hey, thank you so much for your help! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by aaliyaaa
I'm thinking of studying English lit, History, RE (ethics) and Sociology at a level. If anyone studies English Lit or History, can I please have some advice? Do you enjoy it? Anything you didn't you expect? Is it a good idea to do both at a level or is it too intense?. Thanks!

I have just finished my A2. I studied Psychology, History and Law so i can only really comment on History, i did AQA. Im going to do a history degree this september so you could say im bias 😍.However it is not a subject to take just to fill your timetable, it takes alot of effort and if you lack passion for it you wont excell in it. I found that horrifying, at As i studied Vietnam and Tsarist russia, enjoyed vietnam, hated russia. Thats just my personal opinion. This reflected my As results i got a A in vietnam and C in Russia which was a B overall, i got a high A* at GCSE so i was rather upset. I resat the russia exam this year which i think went well. At A2 i did coursework on American Civil Rights which i loved researching but hated writing and the British monarchy which i actually quite enjoyed. Everyone does different topics so id suggest finding out what yours will be and breifly look at them to see if you would enjoy them.

If you enjoy history then id reccomend doing it but there is mass work load and i had several essays to write a week for practice. All of my subjects linked quite nicely.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 4
Yeah everyone I've asked has emphasised the workload. Do you think it's a good idea to do history along with my other options, they are all essay based so just wondering if it'll be too much? :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by aaliyaaa
Yeah everyone I've asked has emphasised the workload. Do you think it's a good idea to do history along with my other options, they are all essay based so just wondering if it'll be too much? :smile:

Honestly i think you will be fine all of mine were essay based :smile: aslong as you are willing to try and put the work in you will be fine, although i do think everyone should do one coursework based, helps reduce exam stress and panic 😄
Reply 6
Thank you for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest