The Student Room Group

PG loans for EU students + Brexit

Hello everyone,

The UK has decided to leave the EU. This has many implications for EU students coming to study to the UK in the near future, and financial issues are probably the most important among them. I have a question about PG loans (as you know, this is the first year that government-funded PG loans became available). In the light of Brexit, will PG loans for EU students still be available?

I think they will remain available, as Brexit will not be an immediate one, it will take at least two years, so there is really no big reason for cancelling PG loans for EU students for now, especially given the fact that there will be a natural decrease of EU students in the UK, so it is in the interest of the government to encourage the flow of EU students.

What do you think? What other economical implications should EU students coming to study in the UK consider in the light of Brexit?

Thank you
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Andrius_L
Hello everyone,

The UK has decided to leave the EU. This has many implications for EU students coming to study to the UK in the near future, and financial issues are probably the most important among them. I have a question about PG loans (as you know, this is the first year that government-funded PG loans became available). In the light of Brexit, will PG loans for EU students still be available?

I think they will remain available, as Brexit will not be an immediate one, it will take at least two years, so there is really no big reason for cancelling PG loans for EU students for now, especially given the fact that there will be a natural decrease of EU students in the UK, so it is in the interest of the government to encourage the flow of EU students.

What do you think? What other economical implications should EU students coming to study in the UK consider in the light of Brexit?

Thank you

Nobody has the first idea about loan eligibility. Your guess is as good as ours.

On the face of it, once the split is confirmed, EU students will become International students, with the associated fee hike and visa problems. Maybe there will be some kind of concessions, but who knows.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending