The Student Room Group

GCSEs 2016 - have they, overall, gone better/worse than you expected?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aamna-
Just want to know if people generally thought they achieved their predicted grades or not. Whether the exams were easy or difficult; if their expecting higher results than they initially thought they would get, or lower results results than they thought they would get.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think I did ALRIGHT. Just not as "great" as I wanted. Especially the AQA sciences, I do triple, and I'll be lucky to get an A in Biology and Physics :frown:
better than I expected when you consider the fact that almost all of my revision was day-before (along with the rest of my year...)
the number of people who said to me in the run-up to exams "oh you go to a grammar school, I'm sure you've been revising your brains out!" is hilarious.
Most of the exams have been pretty easy but I know I did not do well as I had not revised enough if I did I know I could've done very well. Rs edexcel was the easiest in my opinion very easy hoping for a* there. Media studies aqa was quite easy but the timing was just not doing it for me. The hardest exams I would say was Physics👍

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aamna-
Just wondering - did you plan on not doing any revision from the start; were you not that concerned about the grades? Or did you actually want the higher grades?

I wanted to get Bs and As. I had a revision table planned out and started using it maybe 2 or 3 months before the exams. However, I then realised everything I had revised yesterday was already out of my head and I couldn't be bothered to keep going over it or else i'd run out of time for the rest. But I knew I could get Cs on every exam without revision anyway and with coursework it could be Bs so I just didn't bother revising after the first 2 weeks (which was still 2 months before exams).
Reply 24
Original post by romansholiday
I think I did ALRIGHT. Just not as "great" as I wanted. Especially the AQA sciences, I do triple, and I'll be lucky to get an A in Biology and Physics :frown:

I did AQA as well; physics was really bad this year. How do you think you did in chemistry?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Original post by *JustARandomGuy*
I wanted to get Bs and As. I had a revision table planned out and started using it maybe 2 or 3 months before the exams. However, I then realised everything I had revised yesterday was already out of my head and I couldn't be bothered to keep going over it or else i'd run out of time for the rest. But I knew I could get Cs on every exam without revision anyway and with coursework it could be Bs so I just didn't bother revising after the first 2 weeks (which was still 2 months before exams).

I know what you mean. I'd been revising all year, as in actively listening and taking notes in classes, but near to the exams, I didn't remember much of it at all. Long-term revision just doesn't wrk for me. Thankfully, cramming does. I'm sure you'll have done better than you think.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aamna-
I did AQA as well; physics was really bad this year. How do you think you did in chemistry?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Chemistry was overall the best, although I wasn't too keen on C3 as we learnt C3 with a different (and bad) teacher when our really good teacher left. I basically had to teach myself C3 the days leading up to the exam... More chance of me getting an A in Chemistry over Biology, because Biology just f*cked me over lmao.
For me nothing too disastrous happened (at least to my knowledge) I am happy with how I did overall. But my expectations for results lowered gradually as exams went on. After having done the exams I'd be happy with lower grades than I'd originally hoped for.
Reply 28
What I wanted: English Lit A*English Lang BMaths A* Business AFrench BICT A*History AScience Unit 1 AScience Unit 2 AScience Unit 3 AWhat I ll probably get: (If only I revised the night before instead of 2 hours before the exam) :\English Lit AEnglish Lang CMaths BBusiness B/AFrench CICT AHistory AScience Unit 1 B
Science Unit 2 AScience Unit 3 C

How bad are these grades?
Original post by OHamdy
What I wanted: English Lit A*English Lang BMaths A* Business AFrench BICT A*History AScience Unit 1 AScience Unit 2 AScience Unit 3 AWhat I ll probably get: (If only I revised the night before instead of 2 hours before the exam) :\English Lit AEnglish Lang CMaths BBusiness B/AFrench CICT AHistory AScience Unit 1 B
Science Unit 2 AScience Unit 3 C

How bad are these grades?

Generally C grades and above are not bad as such, it just depends on what you want to use them for. A lot of sixth forms won't let you study a subject unless you have a B in it at GCSE or above and that's pretty much what you've predicted a lot of your grades to be. Having said that, a lot of courses such as History, Philosophy and other essay-based subjects require you to have at least a B in English Language. Also, for some competitive university courses, B's in Maths and English Language are required.

Again, I'd say they are good grades but it really does depend on what you need them for.

(:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Original post by wolfslayer1
Generally C grades and above are not bad as such, it just depends on what you want to use them for. A lot of sixth forms won't let you study a subject unless you have a B in it at GCSE or above and that's pretty much what you've predicted a lot of your grades to be. Having said that, a lot of courses such as History, Philosophy and other essay-based subjects require you to have at least a B in English Language. Also, for some competitive university courses, B's in Maths and English Language are required.

Again, I'd say they are good grades but it really does depend on what you need them for.

(:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey mate, I am not doing A-levels. Unfortunately I am doing IB, may I RIP. The subjects I want to take require me to have an A in them in GCSE. I want to study Law at KCL. Long shot I know but hey got to dream big right?
Original post by OHamdy
Hey mate, I am not doing A-levels. Unfortunately I am doing IB, may I RIP. The subjects I want to take require me to have an A in them in GCSE. I want to study Law at KCL. Long shot I know but hey got to dream big right?

Always worth a try! At the end of the day, the people dealing with your application are only human, and so they will see a whole lot more than your GCSE grades. So, you probably have a good chance of getting an offer as long as you do well in your IB subjects - good luck! (:

Quick Reply

Latest