The Student Room Group

How long is too long...working as a paralegal

I graduated this year with a law degree and will be working full-time as a paralegal at a regional law firm. I will also be studying the LPC part-time over 2 years.

Although the firm can offer training contracts, it is based on merit and paralegals must have worked for at least 18 months before ever being considered (keeping in mind that the firm only hires trainees from its paralegal pool and there are so many of us this year!!).

I am extremely grateful to have been given a job in my chosen field straight after University and with little experience, yet after reading so many articles on paralegals working for years without ever seeing a training contract offer or falling victim of false promises, I am somewhat worried.

This job will allow me to pay for the LPC and remain debt free as I’ve chosen a relatively cheaper provider outside London.

My plan is to apply for training contracts outside the firm once the two years are up i.e. once I finish the LPC and keep working until I find better opportunities. Is this a reasonable approach? Should I work on standing out as a paralegal instead and hope for the best? are my worries unfounded?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
The only thing I would question is why you plan to wait 2 years until you have completed the LPC before you start applying to other firms. Most firms recruit 2 years in advance (even regional ones) so why not get applying straight away alongside your work and studies?
Reply 2
Original post by emmings
The only thing I would question is why you plan to wait 2 years until you have completed the LPC before you start applying to other firms. Most firms recruit 2 years in advance (even regional ones) so why not get applying straight away alongside your work and studies?

My biggest concern is making sure I have enough income to pay for the LPC so that as soon as the course ends I can 'risk it' and apply for other jobs/training contracts. Once the 18 months are up, I should know where I stand in terms of whether they are likely to offer a training contract.

Most roles also ask for substantial experience too. But now that I think about it, I will draw up a list of law firms I can apply to.

Thanks for the suggestion!
(edited 7 years ago)
Don't wait for them to offer a training contract to you, apply for other training contracts. What if they don't offer you one? As you know, lots of firms recruit in advance, although many don't. You should know if you are aiming for the sort of firm that recruits in advance or not.

You can still stay and get your LPC paid by your current job. The other thing is, you might not actually like your firm

to answer your question its not too much para work. If you secure an offer elsewhere you can always then ask your firm if they will offer you a TC

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kp0
My biggest concern is making sure I have enough income to pay for the LPC so that as soon as the course ends I can 'risk it' and apply for other jobs/training contracts. Once the 18 months are up, I should know where I stand in terms of whether they are likely to offer a training contract.

Most roles also ask for substantial experience too. But now that I think about it, I will draw up a list of law firms I can apply to.

Thanks for the suggestion!

You should 100% apply for TCs, maybe even apply for winter vac schemes this winter as well.

I wouldn't worry about paying for the LPC as the firms you apply to would most likely pay your LPC fees for you moving forward.
Also, if you get a TC offer from another firm, they would pay your LPC fees and I would imagine you would also be able to continue working as a paralegal at your current firm, if you so wished (but obviously, no longer be able to be considered for a TC). Win, win.

120% apply for TCs now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending