The Student Room Group

Which A levels should I take?

Hey this is my first discussion on the student room. I was wondering what A levels I should take? In the future I want to hopefully get into law but also want to keep my options open in case I change my mind and end up doing something business related. Currently I've chosen English Lit, History, Economics and Maths which I'll be doing AS for starting in September. However, I also wanted to do psychology but I'm not sure which subject to swap for psychology? Also is psychology a level even worth it? I feel like the a levels I'm taking are going to be too hard for me and maybe I won't be able to keep up with them but then again I really want to get into a top uni.
Reply 1
Okay thank you haha, I'll start teaching myself C1 and C2 over the summer. With English lit they've already given us a long distance of books to read😩
Hello, welcome to the student room, it's so helpful for questions like these so I hope I can help you.

I've finished my A-levels now and I did English Literature, English Language, Psychology and Film Studies (dropped Film Studies in the second year). You don't have to have taken Law at A-level to be able to get on a Law degree at uni, or so I believe so I wouldn't get too caught up in doing subjects that will help you to get onto a uni course. I've changed my mind about my degree course 3 times over the two years I was at college.

If you want to take Psychology, if I were you, I would swap it for Economics, I haven't studied it but I'd say Maths is more valuable, and this way would would have more of a range of subjects. I would say Psychology is definitely worth doing, it's so interesting and you'll learn so much. There's a lot of research and research methods to remember, it's a game of memory for the most part, but it's so fascinating, or so I thought. Psychology is also highly regarded by universities and employers. I enjoyed it so much that I'm going to university to study it.

I would say try to pick a range and choose the ones you think you'll enjoy. I know it's hard to know what you would enjoy but I'm sure you have some idea, subjects you've never studied before are good to choose (I hadn't done Film studies or Psychology before).

Hope this helps and good luck.
Original post by skullz01242
Hey this is my first discussion on the student room. I was wondering what A levels I should take? In the future I want to hopefully get into law but also want to keep my options open in case I change my mind and end up doing something business related. Currently I've chosen English Lit, History, Economics and Maths which I'll be doing AS for starting in September. However, I also wanted to do psychology but I'm not sure which subject to swap for psychology? Also is psychology a level even worth it? I feel like the a levels I'm taking are going to be too hard for me and maybe I won't be able to keep up with them but then again I really want to get into a top uni.

I would say definitely keep Maths no matter what else you decided. I'm a mature student and I've learnt the hard way that no subject comes close to how well-regarded Maths is by Universities. If you get at least a B in it, you can do most things out there.

Also, (sorry) having studied Psychology on my own time, I would definitely recommend it. Psychology is hugely eye-opening and can help you much better understand yourself, your motivations, and your behaviours. I would say it can be a massive advantage in life studying it at an early age. Also excellent for many of the same reasons is Philosophy (Philosophy is one of the Humanities that most strongly correlates with career success... look it up!).

I studied English Literature at A-Level (I got 92%), and also majored in American Literature. Yet while it's good fun, I would strongly advise against studying it unless you're planning on becoming a literary academic. I realise that might be controversial, but honestly it doesn't leave you with much in the way of transferable skills.

If I were going back, of your choices I'd without hesitation go for Maths, Psychology, and Economics, and choose between one of History and English Literature.

Welcome to TSR :smile:

I would drop Economics and take Psychology instead. I've just finished my A2s and enjoyed it so much! It is arguably more respected by universities as well as some class it to be a science. Cannot recommend it more if I'm honest :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by JoPearson89
Also, (sorry) having studied Psychology on my own time, I would definitely recommend it. Psychology is hugely eye-opening and can help you much better understand yourself, your motivations, and your behaviours. I would say it can be a massive advantage in life studying it at an early age. Also excellent for many of the same reasons is Philosophy (Philosophy is one of the Humanities that most strongly correlates with career success... look it up!).

I studied English Literature at A-Level (I got 92%), and also majored in American Literature. Yet while it's good fun, I would strongly advise against studying it unless you're planning on becoming a literary academic. I realise that might be controversial, but honestly it doesn't leave you with much in the way of transferable skills.

If I were going back, of your choices I'd without hesitation go for Maths, Psychology, and Economics, and choose between one of History and English Literature.

Thank you so much for your detailed response. I've heard that history teaches you many valuable skills so I may swap EnglishLit for either psychology or philosophy.
Reply 7
Original post by emiloujess
Welcome to TSR :smile:

I would drop Economics and take Psychology instead. I've just finished my A2s and enjoyed it so much! It is arguably more respected by universities as well as some class it to be a science. Cannot recommend it more if I'm honest :smile:

I really enjoy economics so I may drop English Lit and take psychology instead, thank you :smile:
I really enjoy economics so I may drop English Lit and take psychology instead, thank you :smile:

IMO that would be a good choice :tongue: However it is ultimately up to you.

Whatever you decide, best of luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest