The Student Room Group

Whats the big deal with car insurance?

Why doesn't everyone just boycott it? There is a snowman's chance in hell that the limited amount of police could arrest EVERYBODY.

But then people tend not to be able to think for themselves and just do what is enforced upon them by government. I guess I include my stupid self in that to a significant degree.
Reply 1
Original post by Laomedeia
Why doesn't everyone just boycott it? There is a snowman's chance in hell that the limited amount of police could arrest EVERYBODY.

no, but with the amount of anpr cameras and enforcement vans up and down the country, you've got a very high chance of an interesting letter coming through/being pulled at the side of the road.

But then people tend not to be able to think for themselves and just do what is enforced upon them by government. I guess I include my stupid self in that to a significant degree.

in what way is pooling risk with other motorists so you're all financially cushioned if you're to be involved in an rtc a daft idea? having a car is a privilege not a right - surprisingly car accidents can be expensive so it doesn't surprise me insurance costs money.
Reply 2
Original post by andypee
no, but with the amount of anpr cameras and enforcement vans up and down the country, you've got a very high chance of an interesting letter coming through/being pulled at the side of the road.

in what way is pooling risk with other motorists so you're all financially cushioned if you're to be involved in an rtc a daft idea? having a car is a privilege not a right - surprisingly car accidents can be expensive so it doesn't surprise me insurance costs money.

Yeah I know.

But car insurance is clearly such a massive issue here that the benefits of driving without insurance (or with invalid insurance just so ANPR doesnt trigger) outweigh the risks for many. Even as a legal driver your at risk of vehicle cloning. Might as well be the one doing the cloning or something.
Okay... so what happens when you're in an accident?

Because when you write off your car/somebody else's car who's going to pay for the repairs?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah and then you get into an accident and you can't pay for the car repairs? What happens then? Or worse someone gets injured and sues you?
There really isn't much keeping your ears apart is there?

Anyway you can legally drive a car on the road without insurance. You just need to have £500k deposited (I can't remember who with, but a branch of the government) so it's available in case you cause damage to a 3rd party.
Reply 7
Original post by CurlyBen
There really isn't much keeping your ears apart is there?

Anyway you can legally drive a car on the road without insurance. You just need to have £500k deposited (I can't remember who with, but a branch of the government) so it's available in case you cause damage to a 3rd party.

Never heard of that one. What happens when you crash your car into a fuel tanker, causing it to explode in the centre of London? I imagine that you would be expected to pay the remaining 3 billion pounds. They would do this by docking your dole money at a fiver a week.

They should make it like travel insurance tho. Every driver has the option to take out cover to protect against damage however caused, who evers fault. If you dont have insurance and you come a cropper, your screwed. Let people decide whether the risk is worth taking.
Original post by shaymarriott
Because when you write off your car/somebody else's car who's going to pay for the repairs?
Posted from TSR Mobile

The cost of repairs are negligible compared to the millions in compensation you would owe to someone who ended up in a wheel chair eating soup for the rest of their life as a result of poor driving decisions.

Everyone thinks insurance is barmy - £3k to insure a car worth £500? It isn't the cost of the car that matters. It is the cost of damaging / killing someone else that hurts.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending