The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Reply 1
I went through clearing last year and got a semi catered place at the lawns. loads of people i know did the same. you have a choice of lawns or student houses - up to you really. and whether you apply the first day the clearing list comes out, or decide weeks later. Halls places get filled up within the first 4 days of clearing being open i'd heard. So its student houses after that.
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Reply 2
In all honesty, it doesnt make much difference at all....

If you go through clearing and are QUICK, then you should still be able to get your accomodation of choice, if not, you might be stuck with whatevers left...

HOWEVER, if your really not happy with this, ask them to put you into temporary accomodation during freshers week, during which time quite a few people will drop out and you will be able to have your pick of rooms!

in reality, there isnt really much of hulls accomodation which is bad quality, just depends on what you want...

the lawns are the best place to be in first year in my opinion...
if you like good times, a lively atmosphere and dont mind a little bit of noise (its not really that bad most of the time!) then go for ferens hall...ULTIMATE PARTY HALL

if you like ultimate luxury and dont like mixing with us common folk...lol...go for twaite hall

if you like the middle kinda ground, go for anywhere on rest of lawns.

not to sure about needler, but in my opinion, it doesnt really have any advantages over living in the lawns at all, and is probably a weaker option.

hope this helps.good luck!benjamin.xx
Reply 3
Thank you for your replies, they were really helpful. Do you think I could get into self catered halls or do u think it will only be catered or semi-catered that will be left? Also how do u apply for accommodation when you go through clearing?
Reply 4
i doubt you could get self catered halls as they sem quite popular this year.

When you apply for Hull through clearing, you ring up the uni on the day of your results when the clearing lists are announced. You see if they have space on the course you want, you tell them your grades and they accept / reject you. Ask them then how to go about clearing accom places and they should give you another number for the accomodation office. Ring them and see whats available! Its useful to have the hull website up to look at the accomodation in front of you whilst you're on the phone to them to see the places as they talk about them.
Reply 5
Well I didn't get accommodation even as an insurance place.. got temporary accommodation, then offered Needlers which was dire. ended up in a student house much cheaper better facilities etc, except you can't chose your flat mates. If you contact the scheme ( look on the website ) she is wonderful at recommending accommodation and putting first years together etc. she saved me from dropping out in those first few weeks when life was hell.
Reply 6
bloody hell monkeybrain - all doom and gloom with you isnt it?
Reply 7
Absolutely... if it could go wrong it did, I wouldn't advise anyone to go to Hull !
Reply 8
you seem to be a solitary voice in a field of content though ...

I'm sure the freshers will take into account your opinions, but you must admit you are a minority in an overwhelming majority!
Reply 9
bloody hell monkeybrain! do you really feel that you didnt have a good time at hull???wow...your like literally the only person iv met who hasnt AT LEAST been happyish with their time!

if there are some who do end up in temporary accomodation, do not be afraid to turn down the first offer you get, i waited for like a day or 2 longer than it would have been if i jumped at the first place and ended up in a really good sized room in ferens, which arguably is one of the best, if not the best hall

look forward to seeing you all!
xx
Guess I was just very unlucky, haven't got a good word to say for the place, but hey I 'll finish my degree and put it behind me.
Reply 11
Any chance of getting into Taylor Court flats through clearing?
Reply 12
I went through clearing and got really good accommodation in Thwaite Hall (nice giant old house with a lake / glorified pond). However, I couldn't stand living in halls. I suppose it depends on your personality, but I would advise everyone to get a student house - more independence, closer reslationships (usually) with your housemates, more 'normal' (in a good way) lifestyle.... AND the houses are right beside the university, whereas with the halls you have to take the bus to and from Cottingham. Which is a bit of a drag.
But Cottingham's really nice.

I know a rather good looking man who lives there.
Reply 14
BornUnderPunches
But Cottingham's really nice.

I know a rather good looking man who lives there.

Cottingham is nice, indeed! Though I suppose I'm a wee bit biased having lived here most of my life. Anyway, although living in halls isn't for everyone, it's very difficult to judge beforehand whether you're going to love it, hate it, or just get along fine. In the end you just have to gamble on it.

Latest