The Student Room Group

Which Open University course before applying?

Hello. Does anyone have any experience of using the open university to meet the required grades before applying? I have my GCSEs at A-C grade (although done way back in 2003!) and plenty of experience in working with children and in healthcare settings. I was confused by the requirements from the open university- "Open University (minimum 60 Credits at Level 1) in a Health, Care or Science subject"
Also what course you did?
Any help would be much appreciated.
Hi, I haven't a studied with the Open University but I hope I can help a little, a Level 1 qualification is:
- GCSE (grades D-G) - Key Skills level 1 - NVQ level 1 - Skills for Life level 1 - Foundation diploma - BTEC award, certificate and diploma level 1 - Foundation Learning level 1 - Functional Skills level 1 - Cambridge National level 1

What course are you planning to apply for? Nursing & Midwifery degrees require a Level 3 qualification (A-level or equivalent) & many universities require evidence of study within the last 5 years.
Reply 2
I'd like to do children's nursing. I know I need the level 3 and have also seen I need evidence of study in the last 5 years but I was confused by the open university part. This is what I was sent.
Alongside a minimum of grade C in GCSE Maths and English Language or Literature (a Science GCSE is also beneficial) you could consider any of the following:CACHE Level 3 Extended Diploma in Children's Care, Learning and Development or Children and Young People's WorkforceACACHE Level 3 Diploma in Child Care and Education (Early Years Educator)AScience Foundation Year75%Foundation Degree in a Health, Care or Science subject65%Open University (minimum 60 Credits at Level 1) in a Health, Care or Science subject60%Certificate of Higher Education60% with ABB at A levelDiploma in Higher Education60% with ABB at A levelBachelor Degree (Hons)2:1. 2:2 with ABB at A levelAccess to Higher Education Diploma in a Health, Care or Science subjectThank you. I appreciate the help. Pass with Distinction in 30 Credits at Level 3 and Merit in 15 Credits at Level 3
Reply 3
Sorry that messed up the table a little! Cut out the thank you. I appreciate the help part until the end!
Reply 4
I don't do healthcare but OU level 1 is FHEQ level 4... higher than A-Level

A course that meets the requirements above would be this:

http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/modules/sdk100
Reply 5
Oh brilliant. That explains that then. Will look into that.
Thank you.
Reply 6
Hello do u work in healthcare ?.I am currently going into 2nd year of a degree in mental health nursing.I completed the k101 and the k117 and this gave me direct entry into 2nd year.My course is being funded by the NHS in partnership with the open university.Its a great way to do your degree if you work for the NHS.Those are the courses i studied,and i was told these would also gain me entry to 2nd year at a red brick uni.Though you would need to ring around to see what unis, allowed open university credits.Good luck xx
Reply 7
Original post by mel_l218
Hi, I haven't a studied with the Open University but I hope I can help a little, a Level 1 qualification is:
- GCSE (grades D-G) - Key Skills level 1 - NVQ level 1 - Skills for Life level 1 - Foundation diploma - BTEC award, certificate and diploma level 1 - Foundation Learning level 1 - Functional Skills level 1 - Cambridge National level 1

What course are you planning to apply for? Nursing & Midwifery degrees require a Level 3 qualification (A-level or equivalent) & many universities require evidence of study within the last 5 years.

This is not correct, with the open university level 1 is like year 1 of a brick university degree

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending