The Student Room Group
Reply 1
it might be useful if you could flick through the threads written over the last few weeks on the pg forum. the answer to your question is that it really does depend on what you have done before. a masters is supposed to be a step up from undergrad, but this isnt always the case.
Reply 2
The Boosh
it might be useful if you could flick through the threads written over the last few weeks on the pg forum. the answer to your question is that it really does depend on what you have done before. a masters is supposed to be a step up from undergrad, but this isnt always the case.

How'dya mean not always the case?
Reply 3
well....if you scroll back through the posts... you will see that chemist boy has explained about the scottish science system and also how some of the british science undergrad masters (i.e. mpharm) are 3 years + 1 year masters level courses, but at undergrad. in comparison, the alba didnt find her workload a step up when she when from hull to oxford. reports have complained about the inconsistency of the masters degrees too. however, in my experience, the masters degrees are definately more challenging than undergraduate degrees in the same field. so, it's pot luck really, and without any more specifics from you we cant help.
Reply 4
The Boosh
well....if you scroll back through the posts... you will see that chemist boy has explained about the scottish science system and also how some of the british science undergrad masters (i.e. mpharm) are 3 years + 1 year masters level courses, but at undergrad. in comparison, the alba didnt find her workload a step up when she when from hull to oxford. reports have complained about the inconsistency of the masters degrees too. however, in my experience, the masters degrees are definately more challenging than undergraduate degrees in the same field. so, it's pot luck really, and without any more specifics from you we cant help.

Thanks for the help and everything; but in life, you're going to meet some people who can make a pound go a long way, and, of course, some who cant. Some people can derive so much from so little, some people have the ability to extract and expand detail into prose - some people need step by step advice or instruction or questions to answer. I suppose itsw the critical, analytical thinker. All about good or bad communicators.

I asked if a Master's degree is hard - I could write pages on how or how not a undergraduate is if asked.

Cheers anyway.
Astor
I asked if a Master's degree is hard - I could write pages on how or how not a undergraduate is if asked.

I think that it may be difficult for people to come out and simply state whether Master's are difficult or easy as there are so many variables to take into consideration, and I think this is what other posters mentioned. In theory a postgraduate degree should be a step beyond the challenges of an undergraduate, but this is not always the case.

For example, this past year I completed a postgrad diploma in Ireland. The previous year I did a MA in Warwick. The latter was more intellectually challenging, while the former had a far heavier workload. However I would not say that my experience was representative of all postgrad diplomas/degrees, I don't think it would be helpful to you if I spoke in generalities.

I think that more information about your background and/or direction might encourage people to offer more specific information that you would find helpful, e.g. What was your undergrad in? Why are you interested in further study? What area do you wish to do a postgrad in? Any specific universities? What are your specific concerns about postgrad study?
Another problem is that it's difficult to ascertain how "hard" a masters course is until it's finished. I have loads of friends who think our course was easy, but we'll see whether or not they agree when the marks come out in the fall.
Reply 7
Well being a graduate I would expect that you should be an exam pro. Possibly the thing to be worrying about though would be the dissertation over the summer. The standard and length required for a postgrad is not really seen on an undergrad course (I would imagine), especially if coming form a science background. But then You can always ditch it if you're desperate and get the PGDip-although that wouldn't look too good.

Am I right in thinking there are a fair few courses where you can get away with half your exams coming from an undergrad course?

Latest

Trending

Trending