The Student Room Group

Failing at everything

So to you give a back ground I have just graduated with a 2:2 in economics and a week from now I will be homeless. I did a few interviews and today I found out that I wasn't successful with any of these. Through my degree I was actively a part of a leadership programmes, Vice President of a society, peer mentor, I completely a internship for nonprofit organisation and I completed an exchange program aboard which wasn't degree related. My parents are now moving aboard which means I have no where to live in less than a week, I have no friends and I'm quite unhappy. I just don't want to continue putting my energy into everything and get no results, I really feel like I've hit rock bottom and cannot carry on. And most of all my pride and confidence has suffered significantly it's almost like I'm never been good enough and I have felt this way about myself all my life but now I don't know.
Original post by Anonymous
So to you give a back ground I have just graduated with a 2:2 in economics and a week from now I will be homeless. I did a few interviews and today I found out that I wasn't successful with any of these. Through my degree I was actively a part of a leadership programmes, Vice President of a society, peer mentor, I completely a internship for nonprofit organisation and I completed an exchange program aboard which wasn't degree related. My parents are now moving aboard which means I have no where to live in less than a week, I have no friends and I'm quite unhappy. I just don't want to continue putting my energy into everything and get no results, I really feel like I've hit rock bottom and cannot carry on. And most of all my pride and confidence has suffered significantly it's almost like I'm never been good enough and I have felt this way about myself all my life but now I don't know.

That's a bit selfish of your parents, even though you're an adult they should at least make sure you're settled before moving to a different country. Have you no family you can stay with? Can you not borrow some money from your parents to cover a few months rent/food until you get a job.

So to you give a back ground I have just graduated with a 2:2 in economics
Through my degree I was actively a part of a leadership programmes,
Vice President of a society,
peer mentor,
I completely a internship for nonprofit organisation
I completed an exchange program aboard

You don't sound like much of a failure to me. So you haven't got a job yet - so what. If it is any consolation, it took me until November of my first year to get my first proper job although granted I did have a roof over my head. I don't really know what to suggest regarding somewhere to stay. Is there really absolutely no one you can call? No relatives, no friends, acquaintances? Otherwise you are going to have to call the council.

Good luck - but don't be down - you have a lot to offer. It just takes time.
Reply 3
Original post by Tsrsarahhhh
That's a bit selfish of your parents, even though you're an adult they should at least make sure you're settled before moving to a different country. Have you no family you can stay with? Can you not borrow some money from your parents to cover a few months rent/food until you get a job.

My parents expect me to be like them when they were my age which I'm clearly not because I'm without a proper work. And the people that I contacted are not really giving me a positive feedback.
Reply 4
Original post by ByEeek
You don't sound like much of a failure to me. So you haven't got a job yet - so what. If it is any consolation, it took me until November of my first year to get my first proper job although granted I did have a roof over my head. I don't really know what to suggest regarding somewhere to stay. Is there really absolutely no one you can call? No relatives, no friends, acquaintances? Otherwise you are going to have to call the council.

Good luck - but don't be down - you have a lot to offer. It just takes time.

Thanks for your kind words, it's just that the last couple of interviews I've done just literally crushed me and made me feel like well "what you're done is not good enough" or they look down on the type of job I've such as retail. I was desperately trying to avoid this long before I finish uni and but its happening I don't know what to do or if should carrying on with my life like this.
Thanks for your kind words, it's just that the last couple of interviews I've done just literally crushed me and made me feel like well "what you're done is not good enough" or they look down on the type of job I've such as retail. I was desperately trying to avoid this long before I finish uni and but its happening I don't know what to do or if should carrying on with my life like this.

You pick yourself up and keep going. And next time someone mentions your experience in retail, stand tall and be proud of that experience. Don't let someone' opinions bring you down. I am sure you had good reason to get a retail job - survival. If you are confident about it, others will be too. If you look brow beaten at the suggestion, people will pick up on that.
I have a 2.2. I have just obtained a teacher training place. Universities love qualification and everywhere I go, 2.1 or above is stated as more desirable. You get more money, and better access. It hasn't stopped me applying for a scholarship though (which I will get) and I got three offers from the three places I applied. It is all about the confidence - as Gok Wan says.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending