The Student Room Group

Making friends at Sixth Form

Hi, I'm worried about making friends at sixth form. Some old friends are also going to my college but I want to make some new friends and start afresh. I'm just worried that I won't like anyone there (i'm an external student so I don't know who's going). I'm thinking:
What if I don't like them?
What if no one likes me?
What if I'm too shy?
What if I don't make friends and I have to spend sixth form alone?
How do you make a good impression?
How do you maintain a good circle of friends?

Is there anything I should do to make friends? I don't know if I should walk up to people and say hi or just follow some people around. I'm also worried people won't like me and they'll dump me or something.
Any help appreciated
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I'm worried about making friends at sixth form. Some old friends are also going to my college but I want to make some new friends and start afresh. I'm just worried that I won't like anyone there (i'm an external student so I don't know who's going). I'm thinking:
What if I don't like them?
What if no one likes me?
What if I'm too shy?
What if I don't make friends and I have to spend sixth form alone?
How do you make a good impression?
How do you maintain a good circle of friends?

Is there anything I should do to make friends? I don't know if I should walk up to people and say hi or just follow some people around. I'm also worried people won't like me and they'll dump me or something.
Any help appreciated

Well first of all, you worry a heck of a lot and ask too many questions that you just don't know the answer to. So stop that. Enjoy your summer, you'll need to when A-levels hits yo' behind!

Teachers get that you'll be new whether you're an external student or not. They will introduce you when you're in lessons and get you to do A-LOT of group work and silly things like that to get you to know one another. So don't feel like the pressure of getting to know people is all on you cause it isn't.

I assume you'll be in forms too? So you'll be introduced in form time and get to know your form and your classes over a year.

Personally, I have found as a grown person, long-lasting friendships take a lifetime to maintain. That doesn't mean you need to be high maintenance or all up in people's business. But at your age, I get that.

Making friends takes work and it will not happen on the first, second or even the third day.

Here's what I'll do: if you're in a form, I think you should speak to your head of year/college or whatever. If you don't wanna do that, speak to your form tutor and ask if they could just nudge you and introduce you like "we have a new person joining us: tell us where you came from and what subjects." You respond and then ask the tutor (before this of course) to respond back "so many people people are doing" (the subjects you're doing) then maybe speak to the person with the most compatible timetable with you and ask to walk with them to the classroom you'll be either in, next to or near. Then you'll be on your merry way.

Sixth Form/College isn't as scary as you think sweetheart.

Just relax and everything will fall into place! :angelwings:
It's not easy making friends but as long as you are willing to talk to people in your class then you'll be fine.

I'm fairly quiet so I was worried too. Luckily one of my best friend was in my class so i wasn't totally alone. I even made a new friend after 2 weeks into college, a girl in my class came up to me and started making conversation so from then we would talk and do stuff together.

It's a good idea to walk up to people in your class or sit with them then start talking to them. It's what the girls in my class did and everyone gets on well with each other

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending