The Student Room Group

Which laptop for university? (Macbook or MacBook Air)

Hey! I'm looking to buy a new laptop for university, as my 13" mid-2012 MacBook Pro just isn't cutting it anymore! It's much too heavy and slow.

Right now I'm stuck between the new Macbook and the 13" MacBook Air.

I will only really be using it to browse the web, write essays and watch Netflix. I also don't need much storage space as I store everything online, and will only be using it around 6 hours a day.

I'm partial to the MacBook (I love the gold!), but am still hesitant.
I'd love to hear from people who have used one or both of the laptops!

Scroll to see replies

Lmao I know you said you're partial to MacBooks but if that's literally all you will be using it for, wouldn't it be better to get a cheaper, non-overhyped laptop and pocket the difference? There are plenty of great laptops that will be suitable for what you need it for.

p.s. I haven't used either of these so the practical scrounge in me says go for the cheaper option
If you're certain that you want a MacBook then the MacBook Air seems like the better choice. Both are lightweight, both can be used to browse the internet and both can be used to write essays. One is cheaper than the other.

If you have money to waste then go for the new one, but for the kind of things you are planning on using it for, you won't really be able to tell the difference.

If I were you and all I was using my laptop for was browsing the internet and writing essays, I would be looking at cheaper alternatives...
Reply 3
Original post by wickedisgood
Lmao I know you said you're partial to MacBooks but if that's literally all you will be using it for, wouldn't it be better to get a cheaper, non-overhyped laptop and pocket the difference? There are plenty of great laptops that will be suitable for what you need it for.

p.s. I haven't used either of these so the practical scrounge in me says go for the cheaper option

That's a fair point, haha, however since my other devices are Apple, I feel most comfortable sticking to MacBooks.
I'm not including price as a factor in my decision, because I've been planning for this purchase, and am comfortable spending this much on a laptop that I'll use daily for a few years.
Dell xps 13 puts the overpriced macbook airs to shame. Roughly the same price but made of carbon fibre and aluminium, sleeker, imo better looking and frankly has the best screen on the market for a 13" laptop.
I have the larger, faster dell xps 15 and couldnt be happer, the keyboard rivals my desktop one and I've never had such a good trackpad - some reviews regard it ahead of the macbooks (which they're renowned for).
It's so cringeworthy seeing so many people at college with macbooks when they offer nothing but a logo that says 'look at me, I have lots of money'. The 2016 macbook is a joke in terms of speed it will be useless in 2 years, and the macbook air looks so outdated compared to the dell xps 13 - you can see for yourself.
Cooling on these laptops are outstanding compared to macbooks too, so your laptop wont 'throttle' its speeds down due to high temperatures (which is what they almost always do btw)
P.S , to the macbook fanboys: OP says they're using it for browsing and not OS X software; I'm fully aware of the benefits the platform gives and i'm just giving the best option for OP individually.
Original post by Legendary Quest
If you're certain that you want a MacBook then the MacBook Air seems like the better choice. Both are lightweight, both can be used to browse the internet and both can be used to write essays. One is cheaper than the other.

If you have money to waste then go for the new one, but for the kind of things you are planning on using it for, you won't really be able to tell the difference.

If I were you and all I was using my laptop for was browsing the internet and writing essays, I would be looking at cheaper alternatives...

The macbook air design hasn't been changed for 6 years, OP will be buying nothing but a time machine to buy one of these. It's dead until the 2017 revision.
When I was reading your thread, I admit the first thing that was going through my mind was that perhaps something like a Dell XPS 13 would be much more suited to your needs given that I do think the MacBook is a bit overpriced for the specs it gives.
I can sympathise that you might prefer a MacBook given that you're probably used to its OS but Windows isn't really hard to get used to and I feel like things like word processing and Netflix would be better on Windows especially if you get the one with a 4K screen.
Reply 7
Original post by Legendary Quest

Original post by BanterBus
Dell xps 13 puts the overpriced macbook airs to shame. Roughly the same price but made of carbon fibre and aluminium, sleeker, imo better looking and frankly has the best screen on the market for a 13" laptop.
I have the larger, faster dell xps 15 and couldnt be happer, the keyboard rivals my desktop one and I've never had such a good trackpad - some reviews regard it ahead of the macbooks (which they're renowned for).
It's so cringeworthy seeing so many people at college with macbooks when they offer nothing but a logo that says 'look at me, I have lots of money'. The 2016 macbook is a joke in terms of speed it will be useless in 2 years, and the macbook air looks so outdated compared to the dell xps 13 - you can see for yourself.
Cooling on these laptops are outstanding compared to macbooks too, so your laptop wont 'throttle' its speeds down due to high temperatures (which is what they almost always do btw)
P.S , to the macbook fanboys: OP says they're using it for browsing and not OS X software; I'm fully aware of the benefits the platform gives and i'm just giving the best option for OP individually.

I'd prefer to purchase a MacBook, also simply because I've become accustomed to OS X, and as stupid as it sounds, I really like the design.
Since I'm not using the laptop for anything intensive, and am comfortable with the price, I don't see much of a reason to switch. Ah, I also forgot to mention that one of the main reasons I want a new laptop is because I need something lighter and more portable.

Considering how little I'll be doing with the laptop, will the slow processor of the 12" Macbook be very noticeable? And are there any major flaws other than the single USB C port?
I'm certainly no expert with MacBooks, but if it's a laptop purely for Uni (so word processing and web surfing mostly), you might as well go for a cheaper alternative pc like Legendary Quest and wickedisgood said above.
Then again, I'm not sure what course you're doing so maybe a MacBook might be more appropriate for some softwares, not really sure.
I got myself a cheap windows laptop, put in some extra RAM and later, a small ssd, and it's lasted me 2 years now.
Don't see myself replacing it till after Uni. Used it mostly for writing reports, web surfing and writing/running simple programs so far. Maybe if I ever have to use it for something more graphics and RAM intensive, I'll upgrade it again or get a new one.
For the same money, I'm hoping I'll be able to get a better PC in future if I end up needing the extra computing power at some point.
Original post by may135
I'd prefer to purchase a MacBook, also simply because I've become accustomed to OS X, and as stupid as it sounds, I really like the design.
Since I'm not using the laptop for anything intensive, and am comfortable with the price, I don't see much of a reason to switch. Ah, I also forgot to mention that one of the main reasons I want a new laptop is because I need something lighter and more portable.

Considering how little I'll be doing with the laptop, will the slow processor of the 12" Macbook be very noticeable? And are there any major flaws other than the single USB C port?

lol just because you're "comfortable with the price" doesn't mean you're not stupid for wasting money and buying an overpriced Macbook just because that's what you're used to..
Original post by may135

Well considering the dell is the smallest 13" laptop on the market atm there's no arguing what wins that area.
It's worth noting in terms of size the 13 inch dell is about same as the 12 inch macbook because of the bezel-less display. If you want portability, again, I'd go with the dell. I've carried mine in my bag for almost a year and it's build like a brick but insanely lightweight actually.

'Downgrading' from a high-performance class macbook pro to a macbook 12" will no doubt be very noticable. 2012 wasn't too long ago and the processor in your 'old' laptop will be substantially faster. Storage however will be very fast and I can't argue with that at all.. Without going into too much detail, the processor will be multiple times slower.

In terms of ports, can I point out the dell has a USB C port, mini display port, as well as USB 3.0, while having the same footprint.

The macbook also has a terrible keyboard (it has almost zero travel) and so it's most likely to hurt your fingers while typing the essays etc that you mentioned earlier. "And if you didn't get on with its super-shallow keyboard, your fingers will remain as unconvinced as they were before - especially during long typing sessions." - techradar

Is avoiding the easy transition to windows really worth the real drawbacks you'll be getting from staying with apple, especially when you're looking for portability and speed that only one offers? I've had the same debate with 3 people now; they've bought it and couldn't be happier.

Also, carbon fibre is wayyyy more attractive than pink! :wink:
Let me know if there's anything else you're unsure about.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Tabstercat
lol just because you're "comfortable with the price" doesn't mean you're not stupid for wasting money and buying an overpriced Macbook just because that's what you're used to..

What you may consider a waste of money, I might not mind spending for the convenience of sticking with what I like and am used to. The opportunity cost of buying a MacBook, rather than a cheaper alternative, for me, does not outweigh the benefits.
Reply 12
The new Macbook pro is coming out in September (hopefully) so wait until then. :smile:)
Reply 13
Original post by BanterBus
Well considering the dell is the smallest 13" laptop on the market atm there's no arguing what wins that area.
It's worth noting in terms of size the 13 inch dell is about same as the 12 inch macbook because of the bezel-less display. If you want portability, again, I'd go with the dell. I've carried mine in my bag for almost a year and it's build like a brick but insanely lightweight actually.

'Downgrading' from a high-performance class macbook pro to a macbook 12" will no doubt be very noticable. 2012 wasn't too long ago and the processor in your 'old' laptop will be substantially faster. Storage however will be very fast and I can't argue with that at all.. Without going into too much detail, the processor will be multiple times slower.

In terms of ports, can I point out the dell has a USB C port, mini display port, as well as USB 3.0, while having the same footprint.

The macbook also has a terrible keyboard (it has almost zero travel) and so it's most likely to hurt your fingers while typing the essays etc that you mentioned earlier. "And if you didn't get on with its super-shallow keyboard, your fingers will remain as unconvinced as they were before - especially during long typing sessions." - techradar

Is avoiding the easy transition to windows really worth the real drawbacks you'll be getting from staying with apple, especially when you're looking for portability and speed that only one offers? I've had the same debate with 3 people now; they've bought it and couldn't be happier.

Also, carbon fibre is wayyyy more attractive than pink! :wink:
Let me know if there's anything else you're unsure about.

I appreciate your advice, especially to do with the downgrade in processor, which I will definitely keep in mind. With regards to the keyboard, I think I must be one of the very few who actually prefer the redesign! Also, I'm very sure I will be mocked for this, but I really enjoy the physical beauty of MacBooks (in particular the 12" MacBook). Whilst aesthetic is definitely not a priority for most prospective buyers, I find it changes my whole user experience.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, besides price, in a world where only the latest versions of both the 13" Macbook Air and the 12" MacBook exist, which is better?
Original post by may135
I appreciate your advice, especially to do with the downgrade in processor, which I will definitely keep in mind. With regards to the keyboard, I think I must be one of the very few who actually prefer the redesign! Also, I'm very sure I will be mocked for this, but I really enjoy the physical beauty of MacBooks (in particular the 12" MacBook). Whilst aesthetic is definitely not a priority for most prospective buyers, I find it changes my whole user experience.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, besides price, in a world where only the latest versions of both the 13" Macbook Air and the 12" MacBook exist, which is better?

I actually agree with you here, but personally I prefer the sleekness and outstanding finish of the dell's.
Although, I cannot stress to you enough:
performance should always be considered when choosing a laptop!
And i'm afriad both of your choices fall flat on their face here, and you will be disapointed when youtube videos stutter at 1080p (not because of internet speeds either). This is a trap many people fall in, including myself. A laptop may look fancy but if it can't last a year you're wasting money regardless of how deep your pockets are.
Have you tried the macbook 12" keyboard for maybe an hour or two? If so then forget this point but if you haven't then be wary about it's long-term comfort. Please honestly read the reviews about it because it's a deal-breaker. Clicking the keyboard 5 times at PC World doesn't count!
Ok so at this point i'm sure you've gathered a lot of people disagree about the macbook choice as well as myself, and it's only because there's genuine reasons for it. But onto your last question...
Overall:
The 12" macbook is only it's second generation so the design is fairly new and quite attractive - however it doesn't offer anything else to the table. Processor speeds are embarassing for 2016 but storage speeds are excellent. Keyboard should be considered. OS X.

The macbook air is a very old design. It's appearance hasn't changed since 2010 and isn't being updated until 2017! If you're deciding based on aesthetics purely the macbook air is like if primark sold clothes from the 60s - outdated and begging for a refresh. Speeds take a performance boost compared to the 12" and the keyboard is nicer. OS X.

The dell is a new design and personally the most attractive. Processor speeds are nothing to be admired but certainly miles ahead of your choices, and previous laptops. Storage speeds are comparable to the 12" macbook. Excellent 'macbook pro like' keyboard that you've experienced and will thus be familiar with. But... windows... so you can't have it.
Get the 11' Macbook Air.

An underrated gem in my opinion. :wink:
Original post by stefano865
Get the 11' Macbook Air.

An underrated gem in my opinion. :wink:

Why is it underrated out of interest?
You say all this, but the Dell XPS 13 isn't exactly a powerhouse.
Your argument here seems to boil down to it being its sleeker and looks better. Fair enough the pixelcount on the dell is far higher, the Macbook pro with retina has a gorgeous screens and with the pixel densities these laptops are both already at as well as not having stellar OS scaling I wouldn't write of the Macbook. I'll give you those lovely bezels and touch screen capability though (i havent used but I imagine that would be great to have).

:/ After writing that I've actually i've just realised OP only mentioned the new Macbook and the Macbook Air, both of which are weaker laptops, but i guess in the case of the 12 inch it undoes the size argument.

But yes, fair enough if you mentioned for OP's use case a far cheaper machine but youve but for those types people you've mentioned I could just as easily say the XPS 13 offers nothing apart from 'look at me, I have lots of money' had they been using these dells instead.
Original post by tavtavtav
You say all this, but the Dell XPS 13 isn't exactly a powerhouse.
Your argument here seems to boil down to it being its sleeker and looks better. Fair enough the pixelcount on the dell is far higher, the Macbook pro with retina has a gorgeous screens and with the pixel densities these laptops are both already at as well as not having stellar OS scaling I wouldn't write of the Macbook. I'll give you those lovely bezels and touch screen capability though (i havent used but I imagine that would be great to have).

:/ After writing that I've actually i've just realised OP only mentioned the new Macbook and the Macbook Air, both of which are weaker laptops, but i guess in the case of the 12 inch it undoes the size argument.

But yes, fair enough if you mentioned for OP's use case a far cheaper machine but youve but for those types people you've mentioned I could just as easily say the XPS 13 offers nothing apart from 'look at me, I have lots of money' had they been using these dells instead.

It's not really an argument, it's genuine and honest advice that the dell suits OP far more and offers more to the table - that's without question. And yes macbook pro's aren't supposed to be compared with 13" ultrabooks.
I can't quite understand your last comment but I agree the dell does stand out as an expensive machine; so does the macbooks. But in this case I struggle to justify why a mac is the suitable product considering it offers much less than the dell on top of the flashy design.
why not get a new macbook pro ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending