The Student Room Group

I'm going University blind

I'm sure you are all sick of the question.... Am I good enough for medicine? My problem is a little different as I feel as if I'm going university blind. I have read so many threads and forums as well as trawled through university sites that I now can't see the wood for the trees. I have have visited Keele and Liverpool and liked them both and plan to visit Birmingham and Nottingham in September. My grades are 9A*s, 2As -literature and Spanish and 1 B French.
I am concerned I won't be good enough for Birmingham as they score both English language and literature, so I'll drop points for my A in literature and my other concern is Keele seems so heavily dependant on loads of hours works experience.
Can anyone who has been through the process of applying in previous years kindly give me their opinion.?
Reply 1
Your GCSEs are excellent, but yes, it is possible that you won't fit Birmingham's crazy criteria. Don't limit yourself to the unis you've listed above - there are almost 30 offering medicine in the UK and if the rest of your application is good and you apply sensibly then you are in with a chance. Obviously knowing your UKCAT score and AS grades would help in creating a bigger picture.
Original post by Helenia
Your GCSEs are excellent, but yes, it is possible that you won't fit Birmingham's crazy criteria. Don't limit yourself to the unis you've listed above - there are almost 30 offering medicine in the UK and if the rest of your application is good and you apply sensibly then you are in with a chance. Obviously knowing your UKCAT score and AS grades would help in creating a bigger picture.

Thank you for your response. My school have dropped As grades this year, I am predicted 3 A* A 2 level- Biology,Chemistry and Maths. I am sitting my UKCAT on the 5th August so hopefully will have a better idea of where to or not to apply with my statistics. I have volunteered at my local Beaver Scout group for 2 years, have had 2 days with a G.P and 2 days at a local hospital, I have also been fortunate enough to attend a medical summer school day at Keele. I know my works experience could let me down, I have applied to gain experience with the elderly but have had no success.
Reply 3
Original post by Frantic-freesia
Thank you for your response. My school have dropped As grades this year, I am predicted 3 A* A 2 level- Biology,Chemistry and Maths. I am sitting my UKCAT on the 5th August so hopefully will have a better idea of where to or not to apply with my statistics. I have volunteered at my local Beaver Scout group for 2 years, have had 2 days with a G.P and 2 days at a local hospital, I have also been fortunate enough to attend a medical summer school day at Keele. I know my works experience could let me down, I have applied to gain experience with the elderly but have had no success.

If you have reflected appropriately on that experience, it might be ok. Perhaps not for somewhere super-keen on lots of work experience like Keele, but there are plenty of other options!
Original post by Helenia
If you have reflected appropriately on that experience, it might be ok. Perhaps not for somewhere super-keen on lots of work experience like Keele, but there are plenty of other options!

Thank you again. I didn't think it would be so scary trying to choose wisely for the four choices. I am going to work hard on my UKCAT practice and personal statement over the summer and try to narrow it down by September.
Thank you again. I didn't think it would be so scary trying to choose wisely for the four choices. I am going to work hard on my UKCAT practice and personal statement over the summer and try to narrow it down by September.

Hi Frantic-freesia

I notice that your UCKAT is booked for August 5th and wondered how you are getting on with your prep?

It is really important to practise as much as you can between now and then, hopefully you have been doing this for the last few weeks and you are feeling confident about your test day.

You might be interested in reading this blog post for some tips on things to remember for the big day.

With regards to your work experience, the most important thing is that you can reflect maturely on the experience and what you have gained from it. Universities appreciate that not everyone has access to the same opportunities.Try to bear this in mind when it comes to mentioning your work experience in your Personal Statement.

It can feel impossible sometimes to get started on your Personal Statement but really the best bit of advice I can offer on this is just to start! Start with a list which can then be turned into a first draft. Once you have a first draft you have something you can redraft and before you know it you have an amazing Personal Statement. Do make sure you consider the balance between sections as this can have a huge impact on the overall message. For some more tips on this you could watch this video.

Do give me a shout if you have any questions... always happy to help.

Good luck for your UKCAT next week.

UniAdmissions
Original post by UniAdmissions
Hi Frantic-freesia

I notice that your UCKAT is booked for August 5th and wondered how you are getting on with your prep?

It is really important to practise as much as you can between now and then, hopefully you have been doing this for the last few weeks and you are feeling confident about your test day.

You might be interested in reading this blog post for some tips on things to remember for the big day.

With regards to your work experience, the most important thing is that you can reflect maturely on the experience and what you have gained from it. Universities appreciate that not everyone has access to the same opportunities.Try to bear this in mind when it comes to mentioning your work experience in your Personal Statement.

It can feel impossible sometimes to get started on your Personal Statement but really the best bit of advice I can offer on this is just to start! Start with a list which can then be turned into a first draft. Once you have a first draft you have something you can redraft and before you know it you have an amazing Personal Statement. Do make sure you consider the balance between sections as this can have a huge impact on the overall message. For some more tips on this you could watch this video.

Do give me a shout if you have any questions... always happy to help.

Good luck for your UKCAT next week.

UniAdmissions

Thank you so very much for your very valuable help and support, I really appreciate it.
Thank you so very much for your very valuable help and support, I really appreciate it.

It's a pleasure, glad to be able to help.

Do let me know if there is anything else.

UniAdmissions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending